Submitting my first VAT without success

Hi,

I’m new to Quickfile, I signed up last month and now it’s time to submit my new companies first VAT return.
I’ve followed all the steps carefully, however, when I get to the end of filling in the 9 boxes,
I think I have done this correct, however, when I look at the VAT which says SAVED, in red says, This VAT Return has not been submitted to HMRC.

I use excel as i’m a small business and i’m unsure how to bridge my excel doc to Quickfile.

My company was first register for VAT 22nd December, and I was advised by the VAT office that I should submit my first return, end of March. It also mentions my dates are incorrect, but they are set by gov.uk

Is there something i’ve missed?
Do I have to bridge my 9 boxes excel doc?
Do I need to pay Quickfile to submit a VAT return?
Is there anyone I can chat to?

I look forward to hearing from you, thanks Paul

Hi @TLHTC

Welcome to QuickFile!

Have you successfully linked your account with HMRC (Reports >> HMRC)?

If you’re using the bridging module, the first submission is free, so no need to pay us anything at this stage.

If your VAT figures are coming from a spreadsheet, you will need to use the bridging module which creates a digital link (which is required under Making Tax Digital). There’s some more details on the bridging module here: VAT Bridging

Lastly, we don’t have a live chat or a telephone support line, but we’re here on the forum to try and assist :slight_smile:

No problem - thanks for your reply!

In your QuickFile account, if you go to the “Reports” menu across the top, you should see an option for “HMRC”. From here, you can log into your HMRC account and link it with QuickFile.

When you try to submit a VAT return (Reports >> VAT Returns), you will be prompted to select a date. These dates are dictated by HMRC, so these should match exactly what HMRC are expecting.

It does sound like the bridging module is the right way to go in your situation. Basically, if you’re not using QuickFile for your actual accounting, then bridging is the correct method, as this allows you to import the VAT box figures.

Hope that helps!

Forgot to mention, I didn’t import the figures, I just typed them in

Should I just start a new bridging account if the old one doesn’t work?
Is there a phone number for Quickfile or somewhere I can get advise?
I’m not sure this Quickfiles service is worth paying for to be honest.

We don’t offer telephone support I’m afraid, but we are pretty responsive on our forum.

Typing them in isn’t permitted under MTD. The figures have to originate from a digital source, whether that’s from the software itself (like QuickFile), or being linked from a digital document (like an Excel spreadsheet).

When the VAT return is generated, the date range is taken into account. But the actual submission to HMRC doesn’t, so the date range won’t affect this here.

It sounds like you already have a VAT return (likely to be from a previous attempt). So in the first instance, you will need to roll it back. If you view this VAT return and then click the “Rollback Return” button. This will undo the return completely on your QuickFile account, and free up the period again (otherwise you end up with 2 returns for the same period).

I’m sorry you feel this way, but if you have any feedback as to why, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Really sorry to hear this, but any feedback you have would be appreciated.

But as long a you’re MTD compliant, then you should be good to go.

Hope he/she realises he/she can’t just add figures to the quickbooks vat return either.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.