Supplier Refund Process

I don’t understand why QuickFile works the way it does with supplier refunds. It seems to want to create its own credit note at the point of processing the bank entry. However, a credit against an invoice can be created long before the refund comes in.

Why can’t I allocate a refund to an existing credit note?

If you have a credit note held on account and you later get the money back then you can record the refund, but not via the normal bank tagging mechanism. You have to go to the credit note itself and find the option to “refund balance”, which creates a new pre-tagged bank transaction for the refund amount, then delete the untagged duplicate.

If you want to use the funds on account towards a future purchase then that is done by logging payment directly on an unpaid purchase and selecting “apply from credit” to part pay the purchase, then you can make a separate part payment or tag from the bank for the remaining balance.

Yes, it’s fiddlier than would be ideal. No, I don’t know why they implemented it that way. As a programmer I can see why the data model behind it all makes sense but the interface could be smoother without changing too much of the data model.

Thanks for the advice Ian :slightly_smiling_face:

@QuickFile Could this go as a feature request? It would help align it with other systems.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.