HOME / COMMUNITY Switch to knowledge base

Post credit note directly to account (not to specific invoice)

Quickfile handles credit notes completely differently to an invoice whereas as far as I am concerned they are exactly the same when used on a supplier credit account, the balance of the account simply goes up or down depending on whether it is a credit note or invoice. I don’t necessarily want to attach a credit note to a purchase invoice, I just want to have it adjust the suppliers account balance.

Credit notes as they function now work fine for posting against a single cash invoice refunded in full, anything else can be a headache, especially when dealing with supplier credit accounts (like an energy supplier or wholesaler etc).

3 Likes

@Lurch,

Thank you for putting this suggestion forward, we will leave this post open to see how much interest we get from others :slight_smile:

I totally agree. A credit not should not be posted as a refund in the bank (or any similar account). When can this be resolved?

1 Like

I’ve discovered this is also a duplicate of this popular feature request from way back when;

Now to find the feature request for better handling of feature requests!

2 Likes

Good luck with this, but don’t hold your breath.

Why the concept of a purchase with a negative rather than positive figure so difficult I don’t understand.

You can add a credit note in via purchase entry but it’s the instance of dealing with the financial element of the transaction at that point in time that is just plain wrong when you’re dealing with a supplier that offers you a credit account.

Sometimes it might be 60 days until the credit is used against a payment to a supplier so I can have the physical credit note kicking around on my desk for that time, then when I need it I have to find it!

Whilst we’re at it why do credit notes appear on the transactional list with a supplier but your payments do not?

Feature request: Both supplier accounts and customer accounts should operate as a transactional account and show those transactions just like a bank account does.

2 Likes

Hi @aos

Thank you for your suggestion. We do actively review open feature requests and happily take a look at those with interest in more detail. Sometimes for various reasons, some requests aren’t feasible for us to implement, but we will update threads to let those interested, know.

I’m not sure I follow here, but if you could start a #support thread with a few more details, we’ll take a look for you.

This isn’t going to be a straight forward change, especially when we have accounts with more client and suppliers than there are nominals.

But, we can certainly review it in more detail to see what would exactly be involved. Would you mind starting a new #feature request thread for this so we can track the interest?

By transactional I just mean what info it displays. NOT that it becomes a nominal account.

Currently if you view all purchases for a supplier the purchase invoices and the credits are shown yet payments made do not.

Invoices go from unpaid to paid, credit notes appear when they’ve been allocated against an invoice yet payments do not I wondered if it’d be possible to show those aswell so there was a complete audit trail of transactions in one place.

It’s connected but not the same as the OP issue so I’ve raised a feature request for this.

1 Like

I actually made a comment somewhere else on this and I can see why it would be difficult to rewrite the entire credit note section of Quickfile but the more I look at it that isn’t the solution. I think that what is needed here is a a totally new way of dealing with suppliers that offer credit accounts. The current credit note feature isn’t wrong or broken, it works fine for cash purchases, it’s just no good for credit accounts.

1 Like

I’m going to count this as another vote also.