£ symbol being deleted upon CSV sales invoice import

Hello,

This thread is in relation to this bug here regarding £ symbols not being imported correctly when uploading invoices.

I recognise there has been a system update but it doesn’t seem to be behaving as I would expect and I just want to check what’s meant to happen. I saw that you’ve switched from ASCII to UTF-8 and that £ symbols should be transposed correctly, however this doesn’t appear to be the case.

While importing the invoices it shows � in place of £ on the import screen giving me a preview of what I’m about to import, but nothing is carried forward to the actual invoice; it deletes all traces of £ and �.

Was the fix intended to just remove instances where non-standard characters are used or have I made a mistake somewhere along the line?

Thanks

Heather

Are you sure that your CSV is definitely in UTF-8 rather than “ANSI” or ISO-8859-1?

The � is the Unicode “replacement character” U+FFFD, which is inserted by a decoder when it comes across a byte sequence that is not a valid character in that character set. If you gave it UTF-8 and it was expecting a single-byte encoding then you wouldn’t get a �, but rather a pair of valid (albeit wrong) characters.

Hi there,

Absolutely certain it’s UTF-8. I was sceptical at first that MSXL was saving the file correctly but I’ve checked several times and tried using a variety of encoding options and still get the same issue.

Edit:

I just tried taking everything out of MSXL and dumping it in Notepad, saving that as a UTF-8 CSV and it worked!

So, certainly not an issue with Quick File. Sorry for the doubt!

Heather