Transactions are being duplicated

Bank feeds frequently duplicate entries and auto tag them. Trouble is I cant delete either the bank entry, the purchase order, the payment nor the tagging. How do I get rid of the duplicated entries?? I get the message “transaction locked or refunded”. or sometimes something about past VAT. But I on flat rate scheme.

Hi @davidhartley

What bank are you with? Are the duplicates exactly the same, or are there differences between them (e.g. is the date or description different in any way)?

Sometimes different eg “1/12/19, Standing order Ian Morse, £230, QF 00372” + “2/12/19, Ian Morse GARAGE, £230, QF00382”
Sometimes same eg " 5/9/19 and 8/9/19, Card card 84 Ringgo Edinburgh, £3.70 QF00272 and QF00287.

I am with the Clydesdale bank

Unfortunately if the transactions were back in September and December 2019, we wouldn’t have a record of the feed data that resulted in these being created.

Have you noticed it happening since then?

Is there no way that I can delete transactions?
Will let you know if I find something more recent . I am still working my way through reconciliation between bank statements and QF.

If the transactions are untagged (which I’m guessing they are if they’re duplicates), then normally you can reverse the import. However, because they are several months back, this option wouldn’t be available.

I used to be with Yorkshire bank (same company as Clydesdale) and I know their internet banking would show card transactions as soon as they are authorised, and gradually change the date and description over the next few days up to the point where the transaction was settled and final. Most banks don’t do this, they only show transactions once they’ve finalised and the money has really left your account, so this might need to be another one of the banks where QuickFile puts an artificial delay on the feed so it only imports transactions once it’s certain their details won’t change again.

Hi @ian_roberts

Thankfully, with Open Banking, banks provide more information. One of the fields being a status of the transaction. We specifically look only for settled transactions and ignore pending.

That doesn’t mean that the data is correct, as we’ve seen situations in the past where the banks present data differently to the Open Banking standard.

If the transactions were more recent, we could investigate this more. I would like to think that if there was an issue with the way the transactions were presented to us in September and December last year, that this would have been resolved by now.

@davidhartley - If you have any more recent transactions with this issue (e.g. within the last month or so), we can certainly investigate these for you.

There have been no recent duplications. The last was in December and they were all tagged automatically.
Apart from not being able to investigate these old bank feeds; please can you just confirm that there is no way of deleting the purchase orders.

You can delete the purchase invoices from the purchase view, or purchase management screen. It’s not a permanent deletion, but it will remove them from reports such as profit and loss.

The Delete option does not come up under “more options”

Is the purchase locked (e.g. because of year end or a VAT return)?

You should see it on the same screen as the screenshot above.

The delete option just is not there. I have also tried “delete selected” from a list. This gives message " locked or refunded"

I am on VAT flat rate and all submissions up to end April. Flat rate should not use purchases.

That would be the issue then and why you’re not seeing the delete option. But how to resolve this depends on which one is it, and why it’s like that.

For example, it could be locked because of a VAT return, or it could be locked because of a Year End Journal.

The message itself would appear on the invoice, similar to this:

Its a VAT return. Can anything be done.

If you are on a flat rate scheme it won’t affect your vat returns by sorting this out as they aren’t included in the submission.

Personally the easiest and quickest way would be perhaps to total up each duplicate and create a credit note. Others might have a better solution.