Unable to submit first VAT return

I am unable to submit my VAT return fro the period ending 31/05/2019. When I click to submit my VAT return I am receiving a message " You are not yet authorised to view this report for the VRN ??? . Please ensure your VAT number is correct and you have connected the corresponding HMRC Tax Account. If you have recently enrolled on the MTD scheme please allow 24 hours for HMRC systems to update." My VAT number is correct, the start and end dates are correct, I registered over a week ago but still have no access to my account.

So glad a five minute activity has now turned into a full time job.

And you’ve definitely connected the corresponding tax account? The key word is “corresponding” - if you have different gateway accounts for different things then you have to connect the right one. If you go to reports -> HMRC are you able to view your VAT obligations there? And if you log in to the HMRC business tax account website does it show anything there about “vat through software”, which is what they call MTD?

Hi @potterke,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. The message you are seeing is returned from HMRC when there is no MTD link.

This is usually the case if you have linked the wrong gateway account or if you have not registered with them for MTD (or have done it in the past 72 hours).

You need to make sure that you have registered for MTD directly with HMRC - you can also check whether you have done this by logging into your account with them.

Once you have registered and received the confirmation email from HMRC then it can take 72 hours for the account to become ‘live’ and successfully link.

Hi @potterke,

Have you managed to register with HMRC for MTD and link your account up ok now?

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.