VAT advice needed

Hello, I seem to have made a bit of a mess of my VAT and don’t know how to correct it.
I had a letter saying that march VAT had not been submitted.
That’s because we took a holiday - no sales or purchases
I know now it should have been a zero return but I didn’t then
When I tried to submit for March, QF told me I had overlapping periods. Apr / May / Jun / Jul
So, I rolled-back each of those months
Now I’m trying to submit August but the amount due showing is much bigger than it should be.
Bigger even than all those months put together.
I’ve checked that each sales invoice in the rolled -back months has been included in that month’s return.
I can’t see how to fix this.
Suggestions welcome.

Is there a way that I can get a list of what is being included in the August return, before submitting it?

When you rolled back the four returns that “unlocked” all the items that went into them. Now by design, when you submit a VAT return QuickFile normally includes all items that are dated before the end of the period you’re submitting that have not been locked in a previous return. Usually this is the right thing to do as it means that any late entries (like purchase invoices you only received after submitting the relevant period) can be entered in QuickFile with their correct dates and the VAT will be accounted for correctly, but it also causes effects like you’re seeing here if you try and prepare a return for a later period without doing all the earlier periods first.

Once you’ve submitted the missing March return you will then need to disable online filing (via the HMRC account drop down box on your QuickFile VAT settings page) and then go through in order and re-save returns for April, May, June and July to lock down those items again. Then re-enable online filing and the August return should look more normal.

You may find you need to make adjustments to make the newly saved returns agree with the amounts you had previously submitted, if this happens keep a note if the total net adjustment you make to each box across the four returns and then apply the same adjustment in reverse when you submit August. E.g. if you had to adjust box 1 by +5, -2, -4 and +2 on the four re saved returns that’s a net of +1, so you’d need to adjust the same box by -1 for August.

Thanks so much for this. I’m not sure how to ’ disable online filing’…
In QF, is that referred to as ‘Disconnect the tax account’?

Hello @Signa

is that referred to as ‘Disconnect the tax account’?

No, go to Reports > Vat Returns > Settings and change the HMRC account to “No electronic filing” like in the screenshot below

Thanks QF Steve, That was a great help.

Many thanks Ian, your advice was spot-on :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.