VAT Connection

Hi, I have renewed my Agent VAT connection, but while I can view the VAT information through the “HMRC Connect Page” and can even create and submit a VAT report, it still shows an error on submittal. And from the Company screen, it still says connection is not working. I have rolled back and resubmitted the VAT report, but it’s all the same, it gets to the status “Saved” but nit “Submitted”. A few screenshots below as it’s all a bit confusing to what screen I get through different paths (sorry, as a new user on forum I can only attach one it seems):

We received an error when trying to send your VAT Return for **** to HMRC for the period 1 October 2023 to 31 December 2023. Please see the details below:

HMRC Error Code: 401, Status: MISSING_CREDENTIALS, Message: Authentication information is not provided

We recommend rolling back the return ending 31 December 2023 and resubmitting. If the error persist or you’re unsure why you are seeing this error please contact us.

So, I’m connected, I can see the VAT information for this client through the “HMRC Connect” page, I can create a VAT report, but upon submittal, I get an error screen (that I can’t even close). When I re-login and check, I can see the status of the report is “Saved”. If I try to open the Reports - VAT Report from the Company page, on the other hand, it says the connection has expired.

Ok, I actually solved it. I clicked on that tick under “VAT Link” on the second screenshot, and made it green. It would be more intuitive if instead of a grey tick (who would think it needs to be of a certain colour?) there was some explanatory text, eg “Click here to enable VAT submissions”. And why is it not green by default in the first place?

The grey/green distinction is very subtle - more obvious if you have multiple accounts connected so you can see the two colours side by side but most people will only have one. And not at all obvious if you’re colour blind - generally colour shouldn’t be the only thing distinguishing different states in a UI, so maybe a label with the word “active” on the active one, or at least use a different icon shape like a grey dash for inactive vs a green tick for active.

How do I connect my vat to HMRC as they say not connected

Hello @Yvonne

Please see below

https://support.quickfile.co.uk/t/hmrc-tax-accounts-mtd-returns/24367

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.