VAT error after submission

I’ve just submitted my VAT electronically and have realised I’ve made an error. A long story short I’ve somehow managed to duplicate an invoice and add it as paid! Any idea how I go about sorting this? Help :grimacing:

Hello @martinsimpson-hughes

Under MTD rules you can not re submit a period.

Leave the existing period as it is.

You can process a credit note from the original invoice (Options > Credit Note) which will then process a refund. This will cancel off the duplicate invoice and payment you made in error.

This credit note and refund will then be picked up on your next vat return to correct what has been reported to HMRC.

And the way QuickFile works you can date the corrective credit note on the same date as the mistaken invoice - even though that date falls in your previous quarter QuickFile will still pick it up and make the correction in your next return.

Generally the only time you need to actively report accidental errors like these to HMRC (outside of the normal cycle of just fixing it up on your next return) is if the mistake resulted in you under-paying VAT by £10,000 or more, which would have meant missing out income or over-claiming purchases worth at least £50,000+VAT.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.