VAT Error message - The VRN specified was not found

My VAT return submission keeps failing with error message - “By ChRIS : The VRN specified 350066724 was not found.” This VAT number is correct, I have checked it on my HMRC business tax account, tried it with and without spaces, I get the same rejection code. Tried calling HMRC but the automated systems hangs up on me telling me to look online or the advisors are too busy etc. Hoping someone can help? This is my first one.

Hi @Ellie_Osborne

This error usually refers to one of a few things:

• You’ve not enrolled for MTD

• You have enrolled, but haven’t received the confirmation email from HMRC and waited 72 hours

• The VAT number is incorrect

• The linked tax account doesn’t have access to that VAT number

More often than not, I think the bottom one is the cause than the others. If you have more than one HMRC account (for example, some people have 1 for Corporation Tax, 1 for Self Assessment, 1 for VAT), you need to ensure the one connected is the one with VAT access with HMRC.

Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on.

I have enrolled, I’m sure I clicked the link, VAT number is copied and pasted from the VAT certificate, and the tax account is the one they made me set up when I registered for VAT.

Hi @Ellie_Osborne

If you log into that HMRC account directly on their website, do you see a MTD section on there? If so, are you able to view the details about your returns there too?

Yes, it says 2 returns due

Ok, great. So that means your account should be good to go.

Can you please try removing the link between QuickFile and HMRC, and then reconnecting them?

If that doesn’t work and everything else is all OK (which it sounds like it is), I’m afraid it would mean giving HMRC to see what’s happening on their end.

I am getting this message now when I try to create new VAT return.

You are not yet authorised to view this report for the VRN 350066724. Please ensure your VAT number is correct and you have connected the corresponding HMRC Tax Account. If you have recently enrolled on the MTD scheme please allow 24 hours for HMRC systems to update.

I enrolled weeks ago.

Hi @Ellie_Osborne

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting your HMRC account? If so, did you manage to speak with HMRC?

yes, i unchecked all the boxes and saved, then rechecked them. HMRC say it can mean permissions which need to be done through the software?

Hi @Ellie_Osborne,

You will need to completely remove/unlink your account from QuickFile and then re-add it. So If you click the disconnect button from Reports >> HMRC you can then start the link process again.

Thank you. It’s finally worked now.

1 Like

@Ellie_Osborne,

Thats great news :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.