VAT Flat rate scheme - Purchase invoice

I need some guidance on how to enter the VAT amounts onto a purchase invoice when the business is registered for the flat rate scheme. All the purchases that the business makes are imported from the bank feed which is of course the VAT inclusive price.
Under the the flat rate scheme you cannot clam back any VAT paid to a supplier so my question is should I record the Vat amounts on the purchase invoice and if I do how will Quick file calculate the amount of VAT due to HMRC.

Also what will happen if I de-register for VAT halfway through the financial year?

In most cases, the answer is you don’t. With a few limited exceptions you can’t reclaim purchase VAT when you’re on the flat rate scheme so you just enter the VAT-inclusive price as the total. If a particular purchase is one of the exceptions (capital assets over £2,000) then you can tick the box to allow reclaiming VAT, and then enter the net and VAT amounts separately.

The VAT due to HMRC on the flat rate scheme is just calculated as a percentage of your VAT-inclusive sales turnover, there’s usually 0 in box 4 unless you’ve claimed for a capital asset.

Thanks Ian
Thank you for your very clear explanation, so just to confirm all I need to record is the total price paid for the goods or services. That will save me quite a bit of work.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.