Vat return submission rejected by HMRC on MTD

A couple of weeks ago I thought I had linked Quickfile to the HMRC for MTD tax returns. I was able to generate a report and to look at it. However, when I clicked on ‘submit return’ a window came up that said the submission was rejected.
I assumed I had done something wrong and had not linked Quickfile properly so I went through that procedure again to link to HMRC. They ask you to wait 24 hours prior to submitting which I then did but after this period has passed I get the following message when I try to create a new vat return:
“You are not yet authorised to view this report for the VRN - - - - - - - . Please ensure your VAT number is correct and you have connected the corresponding HMRC Tax Account. If you have recently enrolled on the MTD scheme please allow 24 hours for HMRC systems to update.”

The thing that is puzzling is that I was able to generate a report before, and in fact did so on a number of occasions, but wasn’t able to submit the return when I tried to and then when I went back and did the whole link thing again the Government Gateway ID was then changed and a new one was generated by HMRC. This seemed odd at the time but I assumed that all the information would come together to link QF to HMRC in the 24 hour period. But it hasn’t. The vat number is correct.

Can anyone advise on this? Of course our deadline is tomorrow to add to the pressure but we honestly thought we were ready to go, having done the QuickFile to HMRC link up a couple of weeks ago.

Many thanks

Hi @act,

Usually appears if you haven’t registered with HMRC, you need to make sure you are registered with them first and had the confirmation email.

Sometimes people do get two different government gateway IDs attached to different taxes (e.g. one for personal self assessment and another for company tax and VAT). If this happens to you then you must make sure you have linked the correct one to QuickFile.

If you were already signed in to the HMRC website when you went through the linking process then it may have linked with that account without explicitly asking you to sign in again. Try disconnecting in QuickFile, clearing any cookies your browser has for gov.uk, then going through the connection process again (being sure to select “organisation” rather than “individual”). If it works you should be able to view your list of VAT obligations in QuickFile via reports → HMRC.

Thank you, I have been in touch with HMRC and they feel that the issue is with the Quickfile software since they confirmed that the sign up was complete. They have suggested a couple of things to try and I will let you know if that works.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.