Vat returns Box 6: Flat rate turnover inc VAT

This is the first VAT return I’ve done through Quickfile; why does the VAT return on Quickfile show for Box 6: “Flat rate turnover INCLUDING VAT”, instead of: (Box 6) “total value of sales and all other outputs excluding any VAT”, as with the returns I have done previously online through my Gateway Account with HMRC?

If you’re on the flat rate scheme then that’s a more accurate description of the box contents - the label on the HMRC form is correct for normal (not flat rate) VAT but whatever it is called you should have been entering your FR turnover including VAT if you’re doing a flat rate return.

Of course if you’re not actually on the flat rate scheme then you need to disable that setting in QuickFile.

1 Like

Thanks for prompt reply. So can I take it HMRC will be happy to accept the Quickfile Box 6 description and amount therein? (surprised HMRC have never queried it before as I’ve been on FR for a few years now).

Yes, if you have QuickFile set up for flat rate then it will put the FR turnover (which includes VAT) in box 6 and the appropriate percentage of that turnover in box 1. So if you’ve made £1000+VAT of sales in a given quarter and you’re on a FR of 14% then it’d put £1,200 in box 6 and £168 in box 1. I assume that’s the same way you’ve been calculating it for the online form for the past few years…

The API by which QuickFile passes the box totals to HMRC won’t send them the descriptions, it’ll just be a table saying box1=X, box2=Y, etc.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s correct. That’s the way I’ve been doing it. And this Box 6 description and amount does make a lot more sense when you’re on FR.
But when doing the VAT return through the online HMRC Gateway, it comes up with that ‘old’ description and required amount, even though they know I’m on FR, so I haven’t had any choice in the past but to enter the required amount for “…total value of sales…”, etc.
Thanks again for your help. You’ve put my mind at rest.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.