VAT Rollback - To use or not to use for submitting historical VAT Returns

2 years ago our MTD connection stopped working as HMRC removed our VAT service as a result of incorrect processing by HMRC.

It’s taken 2 years to re-establish our MTD and as a result we are 8 VAT returns behind. In order to submit these 8 returns I’m looking at the VAT rollback functionality and questioning if I am doing the right thing by ‘rolling back’ chronologically back these 8 returns to 2020, and will this work OK even into closed periods or closed years?

Having done that and submitting the returns oldest to newest, will all my other transactions be preserved? Specifically any Journals made intra-year, and any year-end adjustments made by our accountant? In the KB there is reference to deleting journals but I’m thinking these only refer to VAT Journals created by the VAT submission process but I just want to be sure.

We have paid our VAT each quarter and these transactions exist in system, will these need re-matched with the newly submitted VAT return, or deleted and the ‘new’ payment transaction matched as per more normal transactional sequence

Any advice on the best way forward appreciated

TIA

Hello Rob

You would need to do the following

1. Export and print each vat return.
  2. Rollback each return.

All transactions will be unlocked and the journals will be deleted.

(refers to the vat journals generated by the return)
3. Generate and submit each return in sequence checking them against the data from step 1
(There may be a slight difference accounting for late entries)

We have paid our VAT each quarter and these transactions exist in system, will these need re-matched with the newly submitted VAT return, or deleted and the ‘new’ payment transaction matched as per more normal transactional sequence

No need to delete and re add as the sequence of the payments does not matter

As long as it’s done in order, it should be fine

Hi Steve

Thanks for that.

I’ve followed the steps, starting with a Rollback of the 8 outstanding/unsubmitted returns which are now sitting in the list as ‘Rollbacked’

To Generate new VAT returns I’m clicking Create on the VAT Return - Report list. QF contacts HMRC and offers me a choice of the last 4 VAT returns going back to returns starting 1/May21

How do I create the VAT return prior to 1/May21 that commence 1/Feb 2020, and then subsequently 1/May20 1/Aug20, 1/Nov20 and 1/Feb21?

Thanks

Rob

Hello Rob

QuickFile reads the available dates directly from HMRC’s systems, we have no control over this.

You will need to check with HMRC and make sure those periods are open for you.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.