View the 'nominal code' in the 'Purchases' list view

Hi Glenn,

QuickFile is fantastic - congratulations to your team for producing such a great product!

However the one feature that we desperately would love to see would be the ability to see the ‘nominal code’ each associated with each Purchase in the ‘Purchase’ list view screen and, ideally, be able to modify that code directly from the ‘Purchase’ list view

We produce management reports which show the monthly breakdowns of costs - allowing us to control costs by identifying areas where spending has increased. In order to ensure that these reports are accurate we need to check all of our purchase orders to ensure that they are correctly categorised to the right nominal codes
Currently to do this we have to click into each purchase invoice separately to see the associated code - which is incredibly time consuming and frustrating and also more prone to inducing errors than being able to review all the purchases in one pane
Having a column showing the nominal code associated with the ‘description’ field on the ‘purchases’ screen would allow us to quickly and easily scan through all of our purchases to check that they are being categorised into the correct account and to easily change any mis-categorisations

Is this something that potentially could be considered for introduction?
Even if it appears as an option in the ‘Additional Column Visibility’ rather than a default it would be incredibly helpful for those of us who are quality-checking our data and hopefully wouldn’t be too time consuming for your team to implement?

Many thanks!

Katie

Thank you firstly for your positive words.

I think we may have a problem displaying nominal codes directly within the invoice view mainly due to their potentially being upto 100 line items per invoice, posting to different nominal codes (unlikely but possible). Also it’s another lookup that would slow down the rendering of this page, that in itself is probably a bigger limitation.

The ledger view (Chart of Accounts >> View ledger) on the other hand would show all invoice items per nominal code, there’s also a re-coding tool there to move any that are in the wrong place. I’m not sure if that will work for you?

Hi Glenn,

No worries - you guys are doing a fantastic job!

We’ve tried the ‘ledger view’ method but again run into a similar problem - in the ‘nominal code view’ the descriptions there are for the QF PO reference number (e.g. “Purchase Invoice: Items for purchase #QF00350”) rather than the actual item description so again we have to click into the invoice to see what the actual purchase was for (which comes with the same limitations as clicking into the invoices from the ‘Purchases’ view does)

I entirely agree that the multiple-line-items-per-PO thing could be a complication - but it could be approached it in exactly the same way that you’ve already approached the problem of displaying the ‘description’ field for each purchase in the ‘purchase view’ screen - i.e. by just displaying the description (or nominal account code) for the first line item of the invoice - and that way it would all be entirely consistent with how the ‘purchase’ view data is being presented already and still be incredibly helpful
I thought it may slow down the rendering of the page - but if that’s the case then could it be added as just an option in the ‘modify columns’ box at the top (just like the ‘supplier reference’, ‘net amount’ and ‘vat amount’ columns already are) - that way it would not slow down the rendering for the people who don’t need to use it but would still be available for those of us who would find it useful?

Sorry for the long email - we just really feel that this would be such a useful feature (and would save us shed-loads of time!!)

Thanks,

Katie

Another request for this feature!!

I am relatively new to Quickfile (not Quickbooks!!) and loving it so far, have recommended it to colleagues.

Not having the ability to see ‘at a glance’ which category purchases have been filed under (and sort by) seems a major oversight to me, something I could do with ease with my quite basic spreadsheet.

I usually check to see If I’ve made any errors/miss-classifiacations (e.g.filing under ‘Subcontractors’ rather than ‘Subsistence’) and can easily spot them, there’s always 1 or 2!
(I am a Sole Trader and use my personal bank account for income and therefore do not have to account for every penny in the bank account so errors wouldn’t necessarily show up by reconciliation).

In Purchases view or Ledger view, the ability to see the ‘Description’, ‘Amount’ and ‘classification/nominal code’ is vital in my view for error checking.

This would make Quickfile (not Quickbooks!!) pretty near perfect for me.

I have just discovered that even the exported data for ‘Purchases’ does not contain the nominal code associated with the purchase - as I started testing Quickfile in the last quarter of the financial year I will now have to re-classify all the pruchases as I paste them into my old spreadsheet to finalise last year’s account (which were 3/4’s completed in my spreadsheet).

Disappointed !!

neil
(edited: changed to correct product Quickfile (not Quickbooks!!) )

This forum is for QuickFile, not Quickbooks.

I don’t know about Quickbooks but in QuickFile one purchase can have multiple lines assigned to different codes, so there’s not necessarily a single “nominal code associated with the purchase”. In the full account backup you get a separate CSV file with the individual lines for each purchase (so several rows for each purchase which share the same purchase ID) and that one does give the nominal code for each line.

Apologies for the mix-up Ian (and the producers of QuickFILE!), I am definitely talking about Quickfile. I have edited my post.

I’m sure what you say about multiple codes for one purchase is the case for some but I’d imagine that for many small businesses each purchase is effectively for 1 item and will have 1 code. Seeing that code with the description and amount is very useful.

I will have a look at the csv account backup, hopefully more descriptive than the Purchases csv export

Hi

I think this feature as requested by Katie_MB (in March 2015!) and neilpercy is very much required.

Otherwise there could be mistakes made in user assigning a wrong Category when invoices are created. The mistakes might not be discovered or if discovered, could take too long to correct depending on how many invoices (and items within invoices) are involved.

Another thing that would be useful is (particularly if above feature cannot be implemented) to be able to in the re-coding tool of ledger view (Chart of Accounts >> View ledger) Search by Supplier. Then user would be able to “Move to a new code” selected invoices and items in bulk for a particular Supplier easily. At the moment this is not easy to do because you cannot search by supplier in the Chart of Accounts - Account Detail screen.

Yet another enhancement that could help - when viewing an invoice there are the two double arrow buttons at top of screen (Show previous item and Show next item) - clicking on these buttons do not result in next and previous invoices being displayed in the order of the invoices shown on the “Purchases” list view (which could be selected for a particular supplier). I have not quite worked out in which order the invoices are shown by clicking on the buttons, but preferably there should be a way for these buttons to only traverse the invoices that were on the previous purchases list view. e.g. if I selected to search for “Supplier A” purchases on the Purchases list view (Dashboard Purchase Management screen), then when I view an invoice from that list the Show next and previous buttons should stick to showing only the invoices that were in the list shown on the previous screen. Sorry for the long write-up, I hope it is understandable.

If these features are already available somehow, then please let me know?

Thank you.