Voluntary fees

Hi there,

I manage the finances for a pre-school. When a child is funded they get "charged a voluntary contribution of £10 per session) Now if theyre fully funded that means they would have the option of paying nothing or paying the voluntary contribution. However if they don’t pay it then it leaves the invoice as unpaid! not sure how to get around this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Try entering another line item call it funded session and enter with negative amount

It wont let me leave the invoice as £0.

I think this may come down to how you do your invoicing within QuickFile.

If the child’s place at the pre-school is not fully funded, do they only pay the £10? If it is fully funded, how do you record the rest of the money (assuming the funder pays £x.xx direct to you on their behalf)?

So what happens is that if they’re funded they wouldn’t have to pay us anything, but we have to put the voluntary fee of say £10.
So we would give them the invoice with just £10 on it, but obviously if they don’t pay it then it is left on the system as unpaid.
If a child isn’t funded then we would write the fees say £120 and then they would pay that £120.
I hope that makes sense.

However you do this it is going to be a manual process. Eventually the invoices will fall due for writing off and that is one possible procedure. The alternatives are deletion or credit notes, all options have advantages and disadvantages.

If you want to more clearly identify these “voluntary” invoices for processing you could use a project tag.

My immediate reaction is to set long reminder dates for when they are “overdue” and just credit them at second or third reminder taking advantage of the colour codes on the outstanding invoice screen for identification. I would think that you need to keep them open for a couple of sessions as customers may ignore the first but hand you 20 the next time.

EDIT
Just to add, I am not an accountant and am commenting on the mechanics of Quickfile rather than accounting procedures.
/EDIT