Ways to automate outgoing payments?

At the moment if we’re making a payment to a supplier or refunding a customer we do that with a manual bank transfer, then tag from QuickFile. Can anyone think of a way to trigger the bank transfer automatically from within Quickfile (or using an integration service)? This would make things quite a lot quicker for our volunteer treasurer - when we set up GoCardless to automatically collect invoices the workload on them went down significantly! With suppliers we have a space to record their bank account details so could do something with that, if there were a way to interface with our bank (Barclays).

You can’t automate a refund but you can automate the tagging of a refund.

Look at auto tagging settings.

No, that’s not possible and not allowed. The only way to get your bills payed is to setup an standing order directly with your bank or you can give your supplier the permission for direct debit. But for one off payments or so you have to do manually direct with your bank. It is not possible and would be quite careless to give a bank or third party software the authority to pay every incoming bill/invoice automatically.

Ah, yes, I used “automatically” in two different meanings there! I wouldn’t want to pay every purchase as it came in without human involvement, but it would be useful for a user to be able to click “send this payment” in the same way as you can “collect this direct debit”, without having to leave QuickFile to do it manually from the bank.

It seems that “payment initiation” is a function in the Open Banking spec, so it might be technically feasible to implement if there’s no existing way in QuickFile.

There is no such way, I think. The open banking feed is “read” only, I am pretty sure

The open banking spec allows for payment initiation but QuickFile currently only uses the read-only transaction information part of the available APIs. And the other implementations I’ve experienced that do do payment initiation (mainly TransferWise) it’s not particularly transparent, you still have to log in with your internet banking credentials, and do whatever your bank requires in terms of confirmation codes or one time passwords, the only thing it saves you is having to enter the account number and payment reference.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.