Why are descriptions mandatory when tagging a transaction?

When tagging transactions in bank accounts, is there any reason why the “description” field is mandatory? I agree it’s helpful and I use it wherever I can, but I find myself doing loads of “Misc” and “N/A” descriptions, which gets me wondering why it’s mandatory in the first place?

Or have I misunderstood the role of this field?

Thanks

This issue also applies (but even more so) when bulk tagging transactions.

Hi @fambi

Would you be able to give us an example, such as a screenshot, of where you’re seeing this please, just so we can see it in context?

Here ya go…

The description field here becomes the line description on the purchase record you’re creating - the bank transaction description tells you who you paid but not what you bought from them.

1 Like

I appreciate the value in it. But how is that useful if you’ve bought 50 things in that transaction?

By making it optional, it can be used when there’s value in using it. Otherwise, making it mandatory forces lots of “N/A” and “Misc” descriptions at the expense of one more step in the tagging process.

Hi @fambi

I’m afraid it won’t be possible to make this optional.

The description should be somewhat relevant, but if you have the original document attached, you can keep it vague as the original document would have the details on it.

Isn’t there also the ‘get last’ link on this screen too so it is really only a click on non-unique/repeat purchases?

Yes, you’re right.

I’m just giving feedback to make QuickFile as much of a pleasure to use as possible and the number of clicks needed to achieve something helps indicate pleasure/frustration in the online world.

@QFMathew

If I am being forced to describe a transaction as “Misc”, then the field is effectively optional.

So if the system requires a description, then perhaps make it optional and then provide “N/A”, “Miscellaneous” or something like it when the user fails to provide a description whenever applicable.

By the way, for the record, I’m on your side and am only giving you feedback as a new user so that you can hear the fresh perspective of a new user. Otherwise, what normally happens is users get used to things which initially frustrate them and you never get to hear ways of improving your product. I love QuickFile and am just doing this out of initial loyalty for a product that I really like following on from a good conversation with @Glenn via email when I first started.

1 Like

I’d also go with that. Most of my descriptions are as you say pretty useless anyway as they are all just purchases from supplies for jobs so all go down as just ‘materials’. Ultimately serves no descriptive purpose for the most part. Might be handy if there was an option to provide a default per supplier so if it is left blank the default description is used?

I’m not convinced it’s a good idea to remove the requirement to enter a description. Firstly there’s now a “Same as last invoice” link next to the description field, which is almost as good as having a supplier default (albeit 1 extra click).

The other reason is to encourage good indexing of information and easier retrieval. This may not be a factor for everyone, but I think it’s good practice for new users who are just coming onboard with MTD.

I suppose we could allow it to be optional based on an account level setting, and then when blank either set as “N/A” or the nominal account name. That could be an option… just not universally making it optional for everyone.

@fambi Incidentally the “Same as last invoice” link may be missing on your screenshot above if it’s the first item you’re tagging to that supplier.

2 Likes

I appreciate the idea of encouraging good indexing is great as a best practice, but I believe that type of encouragement belongs in guides and tooltips… not hard-coded into mandatory requirements that create user frustration for the many cases where it is not relevant.

Users do eventually learn to live with frustrations like these when they feel that software as a whole beats the competition as a whole. But it’s never good when software providers allow that to happen as it’s a frustration that could have been done away with.

Your suggestion of going with the nominal account name sounds like an excellent halfway point.

So perhaps you do something like this… The first time someone tries to leave the description blank, throw up a warning that says something like, “You’ve left the description empty. We recommend you to provide a description so that [explanation goes here].” followed by a “Don’t show this again.” confirmation checkbox.

(Note: If you’re not limited by privacy restrictions, why don’t you guys run some type of database summary on your side to see how many entries you’re getting such as “Misc”, “Miscellaneous”, “NA”, “N/A” etc to see how many other users are keying in useless information just to circumvent the mandatory requirement.)

Btw, I’m now experiencing the same thing now when tagging sales.

We only sell 1 thing, so I’m now being forced to key the same value for about 900 customers (and can’t be saved by the “use previous” option as all of these are different customers).

@fambi - I’m assuming you’re trying to do this with a large number of clients in one go? If so, I think you’re going to be better off importing your invoices from a CSV file rather than entering them manually.

There’s a guide on this, here: Importing sales and purchase invoices

They have been imported through CSV. This is the tagging process.

Apologies, maybe I’m getting confused here.

Was it clients or invoices you imported? If you’re importing invoices, you don’t need to enter a description when tagging the payment

I imported bank statements.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.