Wrong opening balance

Hi, I hope this question makes sense.

Iam a Sole trader and use QF to keep my books and create my invoices, I have been doing ok with it for a complete novice (I think). Some of my jobs are paid through the CIS so have followed the instructions on the link below and created the “virtual account”

For some reason the opening balance now is a - £??? figure although I didnt input this when i created the account. All my Invoices/CIS balance out perfectly but it always balances to the -£??? figure from the opening balance.
I have found the “Modify opening balance” link that takes you to Journals but it wont let me change it to £0 there.

What worries me is that I’ve been doing it this way for the past couple of years and it has always balanced out to £0 but for some reason the opening balance has now changed and I dont know why.

Any help or advise would be very much appreciated

Thanks

Hi @kevg

I’ve located your account and taken a quick look.

I can see an opening balance journal which seems to have been on the account for some time. It looks like this may have just been extended an opening balance journal for a bank account is usually just 2 lines by default - the bank account itself, and 9998 Suspense account, although it can be more after it’s accounted for correctly.

I noticed your account is linked to an Affinity account, a user of which has edited this journal. It may be worth raising this query with your accountant to see if they’ve done it for a reason and they may be able to offer a better explanation than what I can.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.