Amazon Promotion Complications

Hi, a company I am doing some contract work for a company that required I buy a new 4K monitor and said they’d reimburse me. I thought I’d do the honest thing and get one at a decent price. I noticed Amazon had a promotion so purchased my monitor from them but the receipt has left me scratching my head. Here it is:

receipt

I found a solution on the Quickfile forums for how to account for it using Quickfile:

However, I am now completely stumped on what to charge the company. They’re based abroad so no VAT. Without the discount, I’d have just charged them £356.49, but I haven’t a clue how to account for the discount so that they’re billed fairly and that it all tallies with my Quickfile accounting. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

If you want the definitive line on exactly how much net and VAT you’ve been charged by Amazon then you need to download the actual VAT invoice from your Amazon order history (which is something you should be doing anyway if you’re claiming back VAT on your purchases - if you ever got inspected then it’s the VAT invoice that HMRC would want to see, not the payment confirmation)

Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 22.21.44

The invoice has a section at the bottom giving the VAT breakdown.

1 Like

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your help! I usually do download the VAT invoices for my accountant but she’s on holiday for Easter at the moment which is why I was taking a quick look.

The way the promotion was broken down on the receipt confused me so I sincerely appreciate the reminder!

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.