Bank Account Tagging Workflow and Speed

Hello

I’ve noticed that the bank account tagging screen now has a new option where it auto searches for matching supplier invoices. This is great, but it’s the same number of clicks - 4. Click ‘Tag me’, click ‘Payment to a supplier/Show details’, then ‘Click to pay’ invoice, then click ‘OK’ to confirm.

I’d like to suggest 2 options:

Option 1 - rather than just showing that an invoice has been found, also show the details of the invoice and have the ‘click to pay’ button on that screen. Reduces 1 click.
Option 2 - have a ‘tag’ screen similar to how Xero handles it where untagged bank transactions are auto-searched against unpaid invoices with the most appropriate invoice being shown already populated and have the ‘Click to pay’ button on that screen. This would save 3 clicks and make bank tagging a single click for most transactions. I guess this is more involved but would be much faster as it also doesn’t require page loads between tagging invoices.

Thanks

I have so far ignored the new “lightbulb” advice as that seems something unnecessary after tagging such payments in QF for near on ten years. Such an introdiction only adds confusion when doing everday processing!

I also find the new “lightbulb” advice doesn’t save time and only adds confusion. If the amount matched an invoice, it doesn’t save any time.

If the amount doesn’t match and invoice, maybe because the payment pays multiple invoices, you see something like the following.

A similar transaction to this was previously tagged as a General Sales payment from Customer . Confirm again

Clicking the link just generates a new invoice with no confirmation and didn’t give the option to pay the multiple unpaid invoices. This messed up our invoice sequence, so we had to delete payments and edit invoices.

After reading of @John6 with his “lightbulb” tagging experience this new feature is better considered for binning!

Such a change in how we do our throughput of bank payment tagging by the introduction of the “lightbulb” is unhelpful.

This workflow seems similar to what happens here, in that there are some things that happen without confirmation specifically of what is about to happen.

Also this needs looking into before adding more features that can easily royally screw up your bank accounts.

I have several times had to unnecessarily reconcile/correct accounts with an active feed because something has been clicked/added/tagged where it shouldn’t have been.

Just tagging some items in the bank and it seems that this seemingly pointless addition could be replaced with a “search for all open invoices” when there are no exact matches instead. I often have part payments, adjustments, balance remainders following deposits, direct debits covering multiple invoices etc and these all require lots of extra clicking and typing.
Would be really handy for this extra automatic feature to at the very least search for matching balances as well as matching totals. Ideally (although I realise it will be computationally more expensive) would be to show all open invoices.
A slightly more complex way to decrease the computations required would be to maybe search in the last 2 months (to pick up end of month +1 invoices due) or specify a set of suppliers to automatically search against as usually this is the same supplier(s) every month requiring the same manual process of paying down multiple invoices.

Thank you everyone for your feedback on this addition.

When rolling out new features, we have to do it in steps and stages. This can be either incremental releases where things are rolled out in small updates before building up to a full feature.

We’ll take all feedback here on board, and as this feature grows and develops, we’ll take this into consideration.

2 Likes

Thanks Matthew. Appreciate that and nice to see the new features rolling out. :+1: