Displaying bank transactions > 2 years old

I’ve just discovered that bank statements are only displaying the last two years of transactions (that is, two years back from today’s date).

Perhaps this is not new (I don’t normally look that far back)?

It gives me a problem because I wanted to look at and potentially download historical data. It’s there in the chart of accounts, but (importantly) I have several foreign currency accounts, and it’s only the bank statements that show the original currency of transactions - the chart of accounts merely displays the sterling value.

As it happens I do have downloads of historical data, but it disturbs me to think that if my spreadsheets were lost I would not be able to re-create them. One foreign currency account is a “cash” account and there is no other source (i.e. an actual bank) from which I can get the data.

I am guessing that this is a display issue, and that the actual data is still there in the system (i.e. the foreign currency values are still there, even though they are not visible in the chart of accounts). Please don’t tell me I’m wrong!

I would be grateful if you could clarify the situation, and also suggest workarounds for getting historical foreign currency data out of the system. Thanks!

Hi @mfmorris

Can I just check where you’re looking for these bank entries? Is it on the bank statement screen itself, when tagging an invoice, or somewhere else?

Yes, on the bank statement screen (where else would I look…)

Bank entries also appear in back ups, on the chart of accounts, or when logging a payment against an invoice (it attempts to match it up). I just wanted to be sure we were looking at the same place before helping you further.

We don’t restrict the viewing of data to any timeframe, so bank transactions beyond 2 years should still be there. It’s worth checking that the bank account you’re viewing is the same as the one you’re seeing in the chart of accounts (seems they show there).

If you’re unsure of the nominal code for the bank account, you can go to More Options >> Settings, and it will be displayed there.

Hope this helps, but if you need further help, please feel free to drop a private message to @QFSupport with your QuickFile account number, and we’ll investigate further.

The same issue appears for ALL of our accounts that go back further than 2 years:
HSBC
CCLA
Coop
Rouble cash account

The earliest transaction date that I can see, for any of these, is 22 October 2018

Sorry forgot to add, I will continue this as a private message

Hi @mfmorris

That’s certainly strange and not an issue I’ve come across before.

If you start a new private message containing your QuickFile Account Number and tagging @QFSupport a member of the team will be able to look into this for you.

This does appear to be an actual issue, I can confirm the same behavious with several accounts that I used to be able to see all transactions all the way back to 2014 are now only showing back to October 2018.

This is where taking things to private message is counter-productive.

I appreciate this can be a pain in some cases, but when it comes to investigating some account specific issues, we need to discuss these private. Naturally, if the issue is found to be across the board rather than just one account, we will post any updates here.

I just like to know the solution to the problems in general, also prevents this!

1 Like

Hi @mfmorris @Lurch

Apologies for the confusion - I have been informed that this was recently added by our development team as part of recent performance updates. Very few users will need to return data going back further than 2 years when loading the bank statement page, so this is narrowed down to help improve the performance here.

You can however override this to view that data, it just needs to be done manually. To display transactions beyond this range, if you click on Search, you can enter a From date as far back as required (e.g. 01/01/2010), and this will change the results for you.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

If the page views are limited to 50 per page to help performance then why would this further restriction need to be added, unless something is prefetching all the data anyway which would suggest the 50 per page limit is unnecessary in the first place?

Hi @Lurch

Our development team always strive to make things as slick and quick as possible - time is money after all!

While I don’t know the workings behind this part of the system, I will certainly pass your feedback on to our development team.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about it (yet!), just wondering how/why it’s like this. I’ve no issue with it being quick and sleek. :slight_smile:

Thank you for the information. I’m afraid it hadn’t occurred to me to use the Search function to get at earlier dates. I’ve tried it and it works perfectly to solve my problem.

For people like me who are not entirely on the ball, it would be good to add a note about this to whichever is the most appropriate help article. (That is, say something like “by default” the last 2 years of transactions are displayed, but you can show earlier ones by using Search with a date range.)

I’m all for performance enhancements as well, just needed to know the workaround.

Thanks for your quick response to solve this for me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.