Error setting up SMTP for Gmail

I created a new gmail account with lowest security settings and “Allow less secure apps” is set to all.

Service not available, closing transmission channel. The server response was: 4.3.0 Temporary System Problem. Try again later (10). n124sm7924148wma.11 - gsmtp

FYI:

I had originally had a working smtp gmail account on quickfile. Using smtp.gmail.com Port 587 and Starttls checked. Everything worked. The other day I removed it and tried readding it with the same settings and I got the following error message (see issue : Error setting up Gmail SMTP )

Error Message The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Authentication Required. Learn more at
More Details –

This seems to me to be a problem with quickfile’s smtp. I have tried it also on my own private self built server which uses ssl and port 465 with no luck (I will create a seperate issue for this.)

I’m only using SMTP so that I have a record of what is being sent out. If there was a report on emails sent out within quickfile that would remove the need for SMTP in my case. (I will create a feature request).

Thanks

Antony

Hi @Antony_Nicholas

Do you have 2 factor authentication on the Gmail account at all?

Do you have a Power User Subscription? If so, this feature does exist :slight_smile:

2 factor is not enabled on both gmail accounts. I do have a power user subscription.

Where is the report you speak of?

I have an account which uses SMTP through Gmail, without any problems. This uses port 25 and server smtp.gmail.com with STARTTLS enabled. The only difference perhaps is it’s set up using an app password rather than the standard account password, so it may be worth trying this?

There’s a guide in our knowledgebase on how to set this up: Using a 2-step verification Google Account with QuickFile

Brilliant. You can go to Account Settings >> All Settings >> Sent Email Log for a record of emails sent. These are kept for 6 months.

Awesome, thanks for that, I will try gmail settings now

1 Like

Hi Matt, smtp gmail works perfectly with 2-factor authentication and an app password using port 25.

1 Like

I think setting up 2-factor authentication and an app password is the key to solving this problem.

I just did the same this morning and it works perfectly. Before, I was receiving security emails from google saying that someone was using my password.

1 Like

Great news @Antony_Nicholas! Glad to hear this is all working for you now :slight_smile:

Likewise with you @cedev - glad this is all sorted.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.