Handling stock that is no longer going to be used?

Hi All

I formed a company essentially to produce a consumer electronic product. With Covid and one thing and another the product will no longer be sold.

I had asked previously about how to handle stock movement when it goes from being bought to built into a product and then sold from an accounting point of view. the post is Handling stock inventory

Well things haven’t gone well for this product and the stock that I have ordered for them is essentially now worthless. This is about £15k worth of components and finished goods that need to be written off.

These goods are currently sitting in the 1001 Stock account.

I was wondering what the correct way to depreciate these to zero is?

Cheers
Robert

Can you not sell the goods? When something has a high (total) value like that, there is maybe a market for it. What do you want to do with this, just dump it?

Hi Robert,

Sorry to hear about your stock situation.

Stock is valued at either its cost (£15k) or it’s Net Realisable Value (£nil?), whichever is the lower.

If the stock is now completely worthless, you don’t depreciate it away, you write it off in the accounts.

To do this in QF will involve making a journal entry, but before you create the journal, you’ll probably have to create a new expense account and name it, say, Obsolete Stock, number 8103

To do this, you go to the Chart of Accounts and at the top of the page you click on the button “Create New Account”.

Then choose “enter by specific code”

After you’ve created that expense account, then you will use journals to write off your obsolete assets.

Your total stock figure might be mixed in between the following accounts:

1001 Stock
1002 Work in Progress
1003 Finished Goods

but if it is all in code 1001, then you’ll use the journal below to write off the cost of the obsolete stock:

This will increase your expenses by 15k and thus lower your profit by 15k.
It will also reduce the balance in stock code 1001 by 15k, which will remove these assets from your balance sheet. The value of these items will now no longer be in your accounts.

That’s the double entry to do this in QF if you are absolutely sure you can get no proceeds from selling the ‘obsolete’ stock.

If you find before you physically dispose of these components that things change and you can get some cash proceeds from selling them, you can reverse the above. If you need to do that, post on here or send me a private message and I’ll try to help out.

Hope that helps.

Darren

1 Like

Hi

With regards to reselling the stock, the most expensive part of the unit was a part sourced under NDA from a semiconductor company. I am prohibited from selling the devices. The rest of the stock is assembled finished goods which are no longer going to market. As a result they have no real value to anybody unfortunately.

Regards
Robert

Darren thank you so much again. I really do owe you some form of virtual beer. :beer:

Regards
Robert

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.