How do I activate my bank feed?

You may need to log out and back in for it to take effect.

Sorted thanks, I was looking at the wrong accunt

2 Likes

I have set up the feed on both of my accounts and it is polling; however, nothing is getting imported into QF. Are there any logs available ?

1 Like

Yes. If you go to More Options >> Bank Feed Details, you will see the date we last polled the account, along with any data we pulled in.

What bank are you with? If you manually refresh the feed, does it ask you for any security details (e.g. a one time code)?

Yes the date is there, it has polled for the last two evenings. I am with Nat West - how do I manually refresh the feed ?

1 Like

With NatWest (plus a few other banks), the transactions are a few days behind due to the way they process their transactions. This was added as a result of feedback during the testing stage of the feeds. There’s more details on this here.

However, to answer your question about a manual refresh, you can simply click “Refresh bank Feed”:

This doesn’t override the above restriction, but it will ensure all possible transactions are pulled in for you.

Refresh resut

Hi @John_Charnock1

I’ve located your account and tried the refresh from my end. I’m unsure why you received that error, but the refresh does appear to have gone through all OK now. That said, all transactions were detected as duplicates so they won’t appear in your bank statement, but rather in the “Yodlee Raw Data” tab, once you go into the feed details (More Options >> Bank Feed Details).

It should poll automatically going forward, but please do let us know if you experience any further issues.

I’l give it another 24 hours, I am sure there a valid transactions for the 18 and 19th that should be pulled down

As I mentioned above, there is a delay on the feed due to the way Natwest process their transactions. Transactions from the 18th may not appear for another day or so yet. But please do keep an eye on it, and if there’s anything unexpected - please let us know.

I tried again this morning, nothing cam in overnight and I ran a manual refresh form the 18th. No transactions found

To be fair it’s still been only two working days since the 18th, hopefully it should sync up on Monday.

If it only syncs with a 48 hours lag then it’s no use to me as an automatic feed, I want up to date information not historic.

Indeed, it’s annoying that NatWest operate like this when other banks do the much more sensible thing of only showing outgoing card payments on their main transaction list once they have finally settled, rather than showing the same transaction with different details depending when you look.

I have suggested to QuickFile before that if there is a way they can identify those transactions where the description is likely to change maybe they could delay only those specific transactions, but import known-stable ones like incoming faster payments immediately. I guess for most businesses you care more about knowing exactly when your customers have paid you (if it’s pay before shipping, etc) and less about exactly when you paid your suppliers.

1 Like

I don’t understand why this does not work, I can download the data so I know it is there. Most of my bank transactions are transfers to my other Nat West accounts so they go immediately, the question of clearance does not come int play.

1 Like

Exactly. The basic problem is that for certain types of transactions the feed from NatWest presents the same transaction with a different description text at different times - I’m not a NatWest customer myself but I used to see a similar thing with Yorkshire Bank where debit card payments would show up as “CARD AUTH” as soon as the authorisation was taken, then change to “CARD PAYMENT TO {name of supplier}” a day or two later when the actual charge was collected. In order to avoid duplicating transactions QuickFile waits a few days until all transactions have definitely settled down to their final description before importing them.

This does seem like a rather brute force approach, which is why I suggested that if there’s some way to distinguish between transactions where the description might still change and ones where it definitely won’t then maybe they could import the stable ones immediately and only delay the unstable ones, instead of always delaying everything.

Other banks don’t show the pending authorisations as if they were actual transactions, in which case there’s no need for any kind of delay to the feed.

1 Like

I don’t think what you describe is causing my issue. My transaction are simple Natwest account transfers

Yes - QuickFile yodlee feeds for NatWest currently don’t import any transactions less than a few days old.

One finally came in 5 days after the transaction, useless !

Hello @John_Charnock1

The delay was added to the feed as a result of user feedback due to the way NatWest handle transactions. As @ian_roberts rightfully points out the description of the transactions can change, which fortunately isn’t that common, but is something that NatWest does.

This leaves us with two options:

1. We import all transactions, resulting in potentially 2-3 copies of the same transactions, resulting in a manual clean up process, or

2. We delay the feed by a few days and pick up the transactions after a few days one everything has settled down.

At present, we use the second option which was, as mentioned above, added as a result of user feedback.

I agree that this isn’t perfect, and we would follow Ian’s suggestion of just filtering out potentially changing transactions if it was straight forward - unfortunately NatWest don’t make this clear or give us any indication that this is the case. Our only option in this case would be to delay all transactions to be safe.

I would certainly encourage you to raise this with your bank if it’s causing issues. However, it’s also work noting that Open Banking is on the horizon which should improve this.