How do I send an invoice reciept

Hi,
I hope I am asking this question in the right place.
I have recently moved from Waveaccounting.
I have created two invoices, finally managed to setup sending emails through my email provider.
Nice touch as it now looks like it has come from me at my domain and I can see it in my sent items, in my emails.

So now my invoices have been paid, I am trying to send a receipt to the customers.
I have realised I have to send it by opening the invoice then choosing to email. However I am unable to choose the message that indicates the invoice has been paid.
How to choose a confirmation message
Although there are different templates here to choose from.
Unfortunately it is not as easy to send it as it was in Wave Accounting.
There was an option that said choose confirmation of receipt.

I am sure I am missing some thing simple.
Please help

Thank you

If your customers are set up with contact email addresses then you should be able to send out a receipt as part of the process of marking the invoice as paid - whether that’s done via “log payment” on the invoice itself or via tagging a bank transaction as “payment from a customer”.

Thanks for getting back to me Ian.
Yes my customers are all setup with email addresses.
What do I choose or where do I go in the menu to do what you have explained.
How do I “log payment” and tag a bank transaction as “payment from a customer”.

What I guess I am asking for is step by step instructions on how it is done.
Is there a screen shot or video somewhere that shows what I need to do ?

Thank you

Ken

There’s a knowledge base article which explains some of it:

“Log payment” or “payment from a customer” are the two ways to assign a payment to an invoice. If you have an automatic bank feed then you will get an untagged “money in” transaction on your bank account when a customer pays you, you click on the red “tag me” button then select “payment from a customer” to assign the payment to the invoice or invoices. If you don’t have an automated feed, or if you’re receiving payment in cash or similar rather than direct into your bank account then you use the “log payment” button at the top of the invoice instead of the tagging mechanism.

I’m not sure exactly how it works if your customers are paying online through the QuickFile Stripe integration or similar, as I don’t use that myself.

1 Like

Hi Ian,
Yes all my clients have associated contact record.
Not sure what happened, but the link to the image you sent is not working.
The customers have paid by BACS.
Though I thought this should not be an issue irrespective of how the user pays.

So far there is no easy button that just says “Send Payment Confirmation”, or something like that.

Thanks

Ken

Typically the payment processor will send an email to the user. With Stripe, this needs to be triggered from our end, which we do (we pass them the email address of the contact that logged in).

Can I just clarify which image you’re referring to in Ian’s post? Maybe a bit of confusion, but an posted a link above to a guide that explains the process for payment confirmation.

But if you need any help, please don’t be afraid to give us a shout :slight_smile:

Hi QFMathew,
Sorry for the late reply
Thanks for reaching out…
Just to clarify I am not using stripe, like I said my customers are using BACS Bankers’ Automated Clearing System .
“The link I refer to from Ian is in the sentence, in his last response namely:
You will then see a checkbox when logging a payment to an invoice “Send an email notification to the client”. [image] There is a link…”.

Now what I did was look at the knowledge base “Payment Notification Emails”.
Then I had to create a test customer and create an invoice.
At the point when I am logging the payment, I can see the option “Send an email notification to the client”.
However my issue was that I had not sent a receipt to the clients initially.
So I went back to the invoice hoping to send the receipt within the paid invoice.

Let me demonstrate, what happens within wave accounting, with the image shown below.
I open a paid invoice and there is the option to send a receipt, right there within the invoice:

Hope that helps in clarifying what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken,

The option to send a receipt is only triggered when tagging the payment, there isn’t an option to send a receipt afterwards like you’ve mentioned above that you can do in Wave. You would have to send them an email separately or you can send a statement to show the money received etc

Hi Beth,
Thanks for getting back and clarifying that.
That is what I was trying to find out.
Is there a place where we can make suggestions for features we may find useful?
By the way I just realised the QF at the beginning of a name actually relates to quickfile :slight_smile:

Thanks

Ken

1 Like

Hi Kenneth,

If you start a thread under the #feature category then this is how we track feature requests. It’s always worth doing a search on the forum first to see if it has already been requested before starting a new thread

Thanks Beth, I have done a search for receipt but not found anything regarding that.
I hope I have done it right, so as you say I am not starting a new thread.

Thanks

Ken

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.