HSBC Bank feed not working today

HSBC Current account bank feed not working, its active.

Balance when logging in with HSBC directly is fine and upto date.

Called HSBC, they advise no update requests from Quickfile today, so seems its a link failure somewhere.

Thanks
Bill

Updateā€¦
Bank feed revoked and remade, same, not updating.
If I goto Bank Feed > Additional Data > Balance, the updated balance IS showing

Its just not showing on the statement. There are 3 entries missing for today (credits)

Seems the statement is NOT updating.

Thanks
Bill

Hello Bill

Looking at the data HSBC provided to us last night.

However, at that time, the transactions showing as mutable, meaning they could still change. Mutable transactions arenā€™t imported, only immutable ones are.

As you have entered manual transactions for the four transactions they may not import on tomorrows feed (if the bank has changed the statuses from mutable to immutable).

If this is something that has recently changed for you, it may have been a change that HSBC have made on their side. This isnā€™t something weā€™re able to change, unfortunately.

Hi,

there wereno transactions from last night, all these were this morning

No idea if HSBC have changed anything, I also did test transactions, ie, HSBC to HSBC, paypal to HSBC etc, none show as updated.

When did this mutable thing happen ?

How do I know what is mutable and what isnt ?

Ive deleted the manual transmissions in the hope they appear tomorrowā€¦ it would be a bit silly having a feed if everything is now labelled as mutable !

Also, I moved some funds out of the account on the app without issue, so if they were mutable, surely I wouldnt have been able to do thisā€¦

something vey odd here

Hi @transcom

The changes weā€™re seeing started around 18th or 19th April, so itā€™s only likely to affect transactions starting this week.

what changes are thos, so I can take it up with HSBC

Itā€™s the one @QFSteve mentioned above. Todayā€™s transactions are showing up as ā€œmutableā€ which means they may change. Transactions that may change arenā€™t imported.

Weā€™ve seen this change with NatWest banks, too, not just HSBC.

OK thanksā€¦

Its odd that on the HSBC app / online, everything is as it was in realtime, no muting, no pending.

So it seems this is only applicable to banking feeds for some reason, cant you import mutable amounts to be inline with their apps ?

Doesnt seem to have happened on Revolutā€¦

Prior to Friday 19th, we imported all settled transactions, regardless of whether they were mutable or immutable.

However, on 18th/19th, some banks started changing transactions, which caused duplications as a result.

By definition, mutable transactions can change, so rightfully they shouldnā€™t have been imported. But given they were settled, it shouldnā€™t have been an issue.

But with the change mentioned above, we now take the mutable/immutable value more literal and wonā€™t import anything that may change.

For example, we were seeing this being imported on some accounts (transactions are made up, but the concept is the same -)

Date Reference Money In Money Out Mutable?
17/04/2024 Client name 100.00 - Y
17/04/2024 Client name 12345 100.00 - N

With these, both were being imported initially, but theyā€™re actually the same transaction. The bank was just adding more detail after it was initially recorded. Both of these were showing as ā€œsettledā€ and would normally have been imported.

I canā€™t speak for the banks, but ultimately they control the data they present to us. It may be a case with Revolut that they present the data as immutable, so they import sooner than the likes of HSBC. But this would be down to Revolut to provide this information to us.

Ah, ok, that explains it as HSBC advise no changes have been made in respect to mutable / unmutable, in fact, they didnt understand what this was !

So its quickfile that have decided not to import transactions that can change.

Whilst this helps prevents duplications from yourside, we (and others) are left with quickfile statements that dont in any way match realtime events as shown on both the banking apps or online, and its therefore impossible to judge from QF the true amount of funds in the account in realtime.

With EC, we have hundreds of small transactions daily, both in and out, so its really imperative that we have this realtime information to hand without having to login to the banking ap, afterall, thats what QF was forā€¦

What we have done is now shift these to Revolut from HSBC, where at the moment, everything is realtime as its critical that we know the status of funds at any given moment in time.

Thanks
Bill

For those facing the same problem on actual balance, you can still get this with the following

1. Active feed > Additional Information > Balance

This will show the actual balance and not as shown on the QF statement due to muted transactions.

Same here.Iā€™ve activated bank feed and latest transaction is not showing on HSBC gbp account.
If I click on ā€œAdditional Dataā€ > ā€œbalanceā€ it is showing me the correct total balance of the account.
Any ideas???

Hi Filippo,
Its a painā€¦ Im told by QF that this is due to themselves stopping ā€˜mutableā€™ transactions appearing in the statements, because the banks have added additional information to an ā€˜unmutedā€™ transaction, and this means that there will be duplicate statement entries.

For us, this doesnt help as we now have to refer to the bank app to get the actual statement details from now on.

One solution Ive found (for now) is to use Revolut, at the moment they are realtime.

big question is now, how long between muted and unmuted appearing on QF statements ? seems like were going backwardsā€¦

Rgds
Bill

Hi @Filippo_Ferrante

As you may have seen above, banks present a value on the feeds, alongside transactions, which states whether a transaction is mutable (likely to change) or immutable (wonā€™t change).

Until last week, banks were presenting settled transactions, meaning the transaction has completed and typically wonā€™t change, as either mutable or immutable, which was fine.

Having transactions not matching your bank statement will create discrepancies in the future and potentially not match your bank statement. Where some banks provide no reliable way of verifying if an individual transaction has been imported, we use the date, reference and amount to check. If any of these change, duplicates will start appearing which can cause headaches (especially with hundreds of transactions).

To clarify, HSBC, amongst other banks, are stating these settled/complete transactions are mutable, and could therefore change. This could be for a number of reasons, such as the amount isnā€™t confirmed, the reference isnā€™t confirmed, or the date could even change.

Following the NatWest group of banks starting to change mutable transactions last week, it was no longer safe to assume that a settled transaction was unlikely to change. As a safety net, we no longer import a transaction thatā€™s marked as ā€œmutableā€ as it may change. In some cases, this was causing hundreds of duplicates, and is no longer reliable.

Despite Open Banking being a set standard, itā€™s up to each individual bank to interpret and implement the standard as they see fit, which is why some banks are affected, and some arenā€™t.

I would, at a minimum, query this with your bank, as they are the ok nes that are stating these transactions are ā€œmutableā€ and may change, and only they can confirm why they are presenting the data in this way if in fact the transaction wonā€™t change. However, itā€™s often difficult to speak to the correct department regarding this.

Hi Marthew,

Madness. I guess it will turn immutable at some point and show up on the QuickFile statement right? I donā€™t need to add it manually if Iā€™m not in a rush?
Filippo

Hi Filippo,
QF advised that if you make a manual entry (as I did) , the feed may not work, so I removed them, and today, yesterdays transactions appeared this morningā€¦

However, I did speak to HSBC, and found the correct department after a fussā€¦ They confirmed that no changes were made, and simply referred the immutable/mutable process to what they have had all the time, pending (mutable) . If you look on your app you can see this, but , the balance remains correct.

They advised that those companies that provide feeds should check their parsing routines, specifically base them on date and value only for dup[lication checks, and specifically where secondary checks (advanced info in QF) do actually show the correct rolling balance.

Regards

Bill

Just to add ā€¦ I am also having problems with the HSBC Feed. Previously transactions would feed into QF after showing in the actual HSBC account (cleared funds paid in etc) ā€¦now they only appear overnight! ā€¦ It is frustrating as they say they have not changed anything and it is our parsing routines or feed that is broken. This does slow down financial processing on QF causing a dayā€™s delay in some work process. Is there nothing that can be done or checked ?.. or we just now have to live with this please? Itā€™s a backward step no matter what/who is at fault.

WORK AROUND P.S. Iā€™ve reverted to downloading the transactions manually from HSBC (select dates to and from and download to csv file). Then uploading (Select your QF Bank Account and us the option to upload ā€˜statementā€™). This was the method used prior to bank feeds. Hope it helps anyone who urgently needs transactions same day in QF.

couldnt agree more, all was fine, HSBC havent changed anythingā€¦ Weve resorted to useing Revolut as a second current account, back to real time.

A days delay, however caused, just messes up our entire routine

Just to reiterate, HSBC are presenting these transactions as ā€œthey may changeā€, which is why theyā€™re not being imported.