Payment Methods - different list of methods between Sales Ledger and Purchase Ledger

Sales Ledger - Payment Methods and the list when choosing in Payments > Advanced Search are syncing with each other (except PayPal has a gap) ; however when looking at the Purchase Ledger they are not in sync.

Choice of Payment Methods: Sales Ledger > and Purchase Ledger > Advanced Search (in order as shown on screen)

• All Payment Methods
  • Direct Debit
  • Cash
  • Some Other
  • Bank Transfer
  • Cheque
  • WorldPay
  • Visa Electron
  • ​Pay Pal​
  • Maestro
  • Diners Card
  • American Express
  • Visa Debit
  • Visa Credit
  • Mastercard Debit
  • Mastercard Credit

The list of payment methods is arranged in a different order when choosing the method on the individual payment (Sales Ledger)

• Bank Transfer
  • Cash
  • Cheque
  • Direct Debit
  • Mastercard Credit
  • Mastercard Debit
  • Visa Credit
  • Visa Debit
  • Visa Electron
  • American Express
  • Diners Card
  • Maestro
  • PayPal
  • WorldPay
  • Some Other

The order looks a bit more logical than viewing the methods in Advanced Search, but perhaps just in alphabetical order would work for the two lists, or should they be working from the one list!

However when choosing a payment method from the Purchase Payment the list does not match the methods shown above but has been reduced from 15 to 8 choices;

• Bank Transfer
  • Direct Debit
  • Standing Order
  • Cheque
  • Cash**
  • Debit Card
  • Credit Card
  • PayPal

** Other - Cash is showing on the payment as “Other”, but when searching for “Cash” in Advanced Search the transactions are found.

A fix so that the same choice of payment methods for both Sales and Purchase Ledgers would help, but also enable the ability to do “Advanced Search” to the relevant method of payment. The Debit Card and Credit Card are not available options when doing a search at the present.

1 Like

The short list of eight payment methods seems to be the easier list to work from for both Sales & Purchases, the additional items that are listed are unnecessary as that information is reported from the Bank Account that the payment is to or from, perhaps the eight but changing “PayPal” to “Bill Payment” and for completeness “Some Other”. I suppose that makes nine :grinning:

Thanks for the feedback @alan_mcbrien. I’ll certainly pass this onto our development team.

I previously did not mention the main problem “bug” that I have found, If a payment in the Purchase Ledger is allocated to either a Standing Order, Debit Card or Credit Card (Cash - but these are filed under “Other”) there is not a way to be able to filter these in “Advanced Search” because they are unavailable from the list of options.

The missing options in “Advanced Search” make it impossible to find the transactions allocated to these methods.

Plus one from me.

Even more work for the devs would be to provide a feature of a checklist selection in Account Settings so we can choose which payment methods are in play.
15 methods does/would make the screen untidy but that is a compromise a user could make. Most would use a subset.

In any case, the lists should be equivalent in all places; that is a bug.

2 Likes

This is what I am looking for, I want to edit the Payment Method list. Is this possible yet?

1 Like