Payments not allocated to an invoice

Hi
On my quickfile profit and loss 16/17 report insurance was showing zero, however we made 10 x £85 approx payments. In the bank account statement on quickfile these entries were showing as tagged but when opened had the message “not allocated to an invoice”. I manually fixed this by creating new invoices for each payment and they are now showing correctly in the trial balance as payments in insurance schedule.

My concern is how do I find any other payments that appear to be tagged but are not allocated to an invoice?

Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark

There isn’t a report or filter to specifically show payments not tagged to an invoice. However, I would suggest ensuring where you have paid for goods or services, ensure you do have an invoice and work backwards.

For example, with insurance you would receive your policy documents and an invoice (you may need to ask for a copy of this). If you enter this as a purchase, you can then see a list of all invoices that are unpaid. This would inturn show you invoices that don’t have a payment allocated to them.

I hope that makes sense?

[Edit]
There is another way of seeing this, and that is by viewing the nominal report for the bank account (Reports >> Chart of Accounts). For example, mine looks like this:

The top entry (“Test”) is tagged directly to a nominal code, whereas the bottom 2 entries relate to a supplier.

If however, the entry is tagged to just a client/supplier but not an invoice (e.g. like a prepayment), then you can go to Sales (or Purchase) >> View payments and do an Advanced Search for unallocated payments.

Apologies if I misunderstood your original post, but hopefully one of these ways will help.

Hi
That is really disappointing. It cannot be difficult to make a filter to show which tagged payments are not linked to an invoice? Or it should not be possible to tag a payment without connecting to an invoice. Or at least colour code un-connected tags a different colour - orange.
I am beginning to think this software is really flawed and the user has to do very labour intensive procedures just to work around these.
Please let me know what Quickfile intend to do to address this serious failing.
Thanks
Mark

Naturally, I’m sorry to hear you feel disappointed with this. I can certainly pass your feedback to our development team, but generally we like to see more support for an idea before developing it further (you’re welcome to start a feature request thread to gain support for this).

You can tag a payment directly to a nominal code, which in some cases is perfectly acceptable. However, if you have been issued an invoice, or there is VAT to be accounted for, a purchase invoice would be the correct way to do it. If there is not VAT, and you’re not worried about linking a payment to a particular client or supplier, then tagging straight to a nominal is fine.

You should however consider the situation should HMRC query any of this. For example, if you had a payment leave the bank for £100.00 on a particular date, could you confidently tell them who it was paid to? In some cases, it would be obvious from the bank description itself, but it’s certainly something to consider.

What other issues are you experiencing? We’re more than happy to help here - it’s an open community and often other users will add their own experiences and solutions to help too. There are many tools within QuickFile, from bank tagging rules to bank feeds to automate some tasks.

Hi
Thanks for your detailed reply. I am sorry to disappoint- generally I like quickfile but I do have other issues - see below.

Re tagged unconnected to invoices.
I have gone through all accounts opening all tagged item by tagged item to check all have been allocated to an invoice. Very tedious.

OTHER ISSUES

I would ask that you put a simple tick box in all accounts so when checking transactions against a bank statement each transaction can be ticked. This would help with finding item that are tagged but have an incorrect date or are entered twice by mistake, and clearly identifying where there are multiple entries with the same amount, such as sales.

This would also help identify Paypal fees which show as separate transactions with different dates than the transaction they relate to.

Even though getting a feed direct into the software is great it is very time consuming checking for misplaced, double or incorrectly entered transactions against the bank statements.

Surely this would be simple?

Also it seems that if you do not enter an email address when first creating a new client the data fields for putting in email, phone info disappear.

Why is there no schedule for Research and Development? or software? or an easy way to categorise income into different income streams rather than just general sales?

When quickfile was new and free these kind of issues were acceptable but now I think they need remedying and I don’t really have the time to lobby you to make these improvements. I am sure many other users also just accept and work around these bugs without reporting to quickfile but they should be picked up by QF and remedied.

Thanks
Mark

I’m glad to hear you’ve sorted this. However, I did also amend my previous post with an alternative method that may have helped. Hopefully this may help in the future.

There is currently a checkbox next to each bank transaction. It’s really used to bulk delete or bulk tag items, but it can be used just to total up selected items.

I think what you may want in this instance, is the recon tool, which can help identify issues with your account when matching against a bank statement. There’s more on this tool here.

I’ve asked our team to review this. Due to the way the client end of things work (where they can log in to view invoices etc.), an email address is required. I will however see if we can add either a warning, or a way of not discarding the phone number.

I’m not sure I’m following here I’m sorry. There are several nominal codes used for sales invoices in the 4000-4999 range of your nominal codes. These can be viewed in your Chart of Accounts (Reports >> Chart of Accounts).

You can also add your own custom ones here if you wish - they’re pretty flexible.

We are always reviewing our software, but there are quite a lot of scenarios and use cases that we can’t always pick up on (which is the same with any software package). Every bug report is investigated, and where required, fixed, normally within a few hours.

In terms of feature requests, we’re more than happy to investigate the feasibility of any feature request if there’s a demand from the QuickFile community (providing they are relevant).

Let me backup a little bit here to your original query…

I think my colleague assumed you had bank tagged the items directly to a nominal ledger (without an invoice), but if that were the case it would have shown on your TB. What I believe you’ve done is tagged them as pre-payments to a client account, which simply holds the funds in limbo until they are allocated to an invoice and therefore pegged to a nominal code.

So on the above premise you can simply isolate all your client prepayments in the “Client Management” view using the “Advanced Search” dialogue.

Run the search and you’ll see an additional column showing clients with unallocated funds. You can then sort the column by amount and see the list of clients.

Now you know the clients affected you can drill down into the client record and click the view menu option for the client and select the “All Payments” option.

You can then scan the list (or use advanced search) to filter the exact payments that are unallocated.

I did a quick scan on your account and found 3 clients with unallocated balances.

Hi Matthew
Thanks again for your prompt reply. I shall look into your suggestions.
However the check box on the left of items is for bulk functions. I can see no practical way of using it for the purpose of checking off items from bank statements. It would mean un ticking every thing to use bulk functions and re-entering every time a balance mismatch occurs- which could be thousands of transactions.
Thanks
Mark

It’s Glenn here, Mathew replied previously.

I think Mathew was referring to the bank reconciliation tool, this is just for totalling up items and cross-checking with your paper statement for missing or incorrectly dated entries. You actually never need to do this if you pull your banking data from a feed, as it will always be correct.

Regarding your initial query though it should take only a few mins to straighten out if you follow my steps above.

An even quicker way to isolate those unallocated amounts is to just go to Sales >> Payments and filter all unallocated.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.