Problem Setting SMTP with Google Mail

Hi,

Trying to setup SMTP that all outgoing emails or invoices from our account at Quickfile will go through our SMTP server, but always getting:

Error Message: The operation has timed out.
More Details: Your SMTP server did not reply in a timely fashion. Please ensure the port number is correct and any firewall on the SMTP server is allowing outside access.

Tried to setup account at gmail - same error.

host: mail.google.com
port: 465
SSL: y

Any help will be appreciated!

BR,
Roman.

Hi @Roman_Dinkevych

The timeout error usually means one or more of the settings are incorrect.

Looking at another set up for Gmail on QuickFile, port 25 was used rather than 465. If you could try that please, and let me know how it goes?

Hi,

Tried:

Host: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 25
SSL: n
+of course all correct credentials…

Getting message:

Error Message The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. t65sm33980706pfj.4 - gsmtp

If i switch to port:25 and SSL=y, getting

The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.5.1 Authentication Required.

Regards,
Roman.

Hi Roman,

Didn’t notice it the first time around, but I’ve just noticed that the mail server is incorrect.

So, to confirm, the settings shoul be:

Port: 25
Server/Host Name: smtp.gmail.com
Username: full email address (username@domain.com)
SSL: Ticked

That should get you going :wink:

If you look at his last post I think he says he has tried that.

Just about all verified SMTP accounts that are using smtp.gmail.com are targeting port 587 with SSL switched on, but 25 should also work.

Google will also occasionally block any new 3rd party SMTP connections. There’s an area in your Google account you can white-list us, let me find more info on this.

EDIT:

Here it is:

http://community.quickfile.co.uk/t/smtp-settings-5-5-1-authentication-required/1966/15

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.