Purchase Invoices - Quantity Field

Even if that is the case surely a default of “Qty 1” when tagged from the receipt hub would suffice.

1 Like

Exactly my thoughts.

i have been asking for nearly 4 years now, and nothing changes]#

Missing quantities on purchases seems a very odd omission to me. I’ve recently started managing a quickfile account to free up other HR for business development and I’m playing the purchase order trick at the moment to track quantities (especially in mileage) but it’s a lot of extra steps. Please implement this as soon as there is developer time for it!

If you’re referring to mileage claims, these should be done using journals not purchases.

At the risk of getting off topic, that’s not what Business mileage expense advises.

1 Like

Yeah the how to is to make it easy for people. It’s not technically correct. Specially more so if your vat registered as it would add the cost to the vat return when it’s out of scope.

Anyway let’s keep this thread on topic.

we are still putting multiple line transactions on, to be able to get a true picture of our purchases. Sometimes 20+ lines,

This is crazy now 5 years on,

I’m going to go out on a slightly controversial limb here and register a vote against adding a qty field to all purchase invoices.

The point of a purchase invoice in QuickFile is to accurately record the total amount of net and VAT cost as specified on the invoice you received from the supplier. There are several acceptable ways for a supplier to calculate the VAT on their invoices, which all give slightly different answers (do they multiply the qty by the net and then add 20% on to that, do they calculate VAT on each item to the nearest penny then multiply that by the qty, do they calculate per item to more decimal places and only round to the penny at the line level…) and if the method chosen by the supplier doesn’t match the method used by QuickFile then you’ll end up having to edit the net and/or VAT totals on each line anyway in order to record it accurately. The supplier’s method of calculation must always take precedence over QuickFile’s, and providing a qty column may encourage people to trust the QuickFile calculations and end up reclaiming the wrong amount of VAT.

The only cases where being able to enter a quantity might be useful is in the case of purchases-that-aren’t-really-purchases such as the mileage example above - things where you don’t have a supplier invoice to match up with, so I’d argue more in favour of a separate facility for recording “non-invoiced expenses” (like mileage, use of home as office, etc) rather than overloading the purchase system in a way that risks being detrimental in the more common case.

1 Like

Probably the longest standing feature request for any platform. 5 1/2 years

Please can you take some user feedback on this request

rest of the platform is great for my needs

1 Like

I’d have thought in the 5 1/2 years someone would have come up with a coherent reason to actually add this “feature”? POs yes certainly, invoices I’m not convinced.

1 Like

Another for me here - I find it really unnerving that such an essential feature has been in watching for 5+ years - this is becoming the difference between me no longer recommending this software to my clients, and moving away from it myself.

Please can we at least have an update? I would welcome an explanation as to why this can be applicable in sales, but not in purchases - is it a coding issue?

Many thanks for any reply.

Is there an update as to why this is not under consideration yet?

Thank you in advance.

Still ongoing, and no developer feedback.
the only limitation of the system,
when i convert po to pi, i loose the quantities
when i run a pi item report, it just shows the total so no idea what the unit price was.

surely this cant be that hard to introduce.

Hi @jpitsolutions

There are no updates here I’m afraid. As soon as anything changes, we’ll update this thread.

For now, however, you would need to enter the total on each line.

It does seem quite strange that a quantity column can’t be shown in purchase invoices.

You can customise a sales invoice by unit quantity or number of hours.

To be able to have the option to toggle on or off a quantity column in purchase invoices would be very useful.

It’s not really clear why the developers wouldn’t want to implement this, it would be very helpful for those who want to see it and those who don’t could simply toggle the column off.

Maybe it would mean a huge overhaul of the system’s code?

1 Like

Because the purpose of the purchase invoices system is to accurately record the exact total net and VAT as it is given on the invoice from your supplier. There are different and equally valid ways to calculate line level VAT, but you must record in QuickFile the exact totals as per the supplier’s VAT invoice.

If QuickFile offered a unit price and quantity on purchase invoices that would only encourage people to go with QuickFile’s method of calculating the VAT rather than the supplier’s, and you’d either end up with lots of complaints on the forum that “QuickFile is recording my purchases wrong”, or you find yourself having to make adjustments to the totals anyway, or adding odd lines for plus or minus a penny or two to your purchases to make them agree with the invoice.

The supplier’s calculation always wins, and in my opinion QuickFile should not do its own calculations on purchases, it should just record the totals.

1 Like

I suggested that the user has a choice in the form of a unit column that could be used or not used, according to their preference.

My personal preference is to have a quantity and unit price column, others might prefer otherwise. QF is the most flexible system I’ve used compared to some of the others, if they could extend this flexibility here I don’t see how it wouldn’t be a win-win.

This is one of the only reasons I would opt to avoid using QF with some clients.

VAT can easily be overtyped anyway.

But if what you say above is QF’s reason for not implementing this feature, then at least now we know.

I totally agree with Darren Smith. We are continually having to type Qty x.xx @ £n.nn into the details section of purchase invoices because the calculation is not available after conversion from a purchase order. If it should calculate the VAT incorrectly then this is easily amended. We occasionally have to amend the VAT anyway to match a supplier’s document if there are several lines on the invoice.

The official recommendation for purchase orders is to use nett figures only, due to this very reason. If Quickfile added quantities then they should also really ditch the VAT altogether and that solves this issue, my PO’s do not include any VAT calculations at all and never have.