Search box missing results

I remember there being a couple of threads not long ago regarding changes to search logic and I have noticed that I am missing results from my searches. Seems I need to type the full name/word to get a match which seems to somewhat defeat the point of the search box?

I would expect all suppliers with “tra” in the name to appear, or at least for suppliers with names starting with “tra” to appear.

And just to confirm, I do have multiple suppliers starting with “tra”.

But I can get mixed results depending on the name of the supplier.

If I search for “mot” I get a match for a name with “mot” as a word but not when “mot” is part of the name.

Hello @Lurch

We are doing some work on the searching at present to make it more powerful

Here is an example I gave to another customer who was searching 164 park (part of a larger string of text)

Currently if you type in 164 park it will look for anything containing

park
164 park

You can use a phrase search “164 Park” (enclose the phrase with quotation marks) to filter out the entries only containing park

I have also asked for further documentation and prompts to be added to explain the different search offerings.

Seems that it isn’t doing that though, or one of us has misunderstood the other.

I am searching for a supplier with “mot” in the name, I am not searching for the exact word “mot”.

If this is intentional then it renders the search useless. This is also inconsistent with the way it works in other areas, for example when bank tagging or in the receipt hub if I search for a supplier and enter “mot” all suppliers with “mot” in the name appear, which you would expect.

I too am finding the changes to searching frustrating, I am now having to type at least the first full word of a clients name etc.

@Lurch

I am searching for a supplier with “mot” in the name, I am not searching for the exact word “mot”.

Just checking the Quick search will bring up invoices and names, if the text you enter is part of a name append and *

Is the supplier you are looking for in the example below

Searching in the client box on the sales screen, I can enter the exact company name and it brings up other companies mixed in with the correct one, seems to be all over the place at the moment, this needs sorting out, no improvements here I’m afraid!

Rob

1 Like

Hi Stuart, here’s a link from my post on this subject from January;

The quick search is still doing partial searches when I look this morning!

Seems somewhat counter-intuitive and this wouldn’t be something I would expect the average user to know or even think about. I think you need to take another look at how this works by default.

I have found when doing a search within Purchase Management by Supplier Name that there is no longer results when a partial name is input;

A similar problem is occurring when searching in SALES Invoice Management.

The removal of the ability to do a partial name search is frustrating and makes work much more difficult and has time implications for all operators, if the amendment was introduced to speed up how the system works the operator input was ill considered in the implication.

Using Quick search looking up a specific purchase order number, typing in the full number resulted in 44 possible matches, I had to search through the search results.