Show invoice name on the actual invoice

Ok so ive been fiddling around with quickfile for a while now as i want to move away from the clunky and infuriatingly closed sage line 50. So far so good, great bit of software.

Ive set up the importing of all my paypal transactions which accounts for the vast majority of my payments these days, however due to most my sales being zero rated, i want a quick way to edit the invoice description so it shows what was sold, this is to ensure theres no come back on vat returns etc to show the correct product description and weight. Now on the description column you can edit it quickly which is great, but the info doesn’t transfer onto the invoice description when printing. Is there any way to link it as this will save me a huge amount of time in making sure the invoices are showing everything properly? As at the moment the invoice description simply shows the paypal reference number for the transaction.

The description column is not exactly the same as the description field on the invoice itself, although it is automatically populated by the 35 characters of the top line description when the invoice is created.

The description field on the list is just an internal name for the invoice that won’t get translated to the invoice when outputting to PDF. Even if it did output to the PDF I think you’ll find the 35 character limitation will not make it a great fit for what you’re trying to achieve… I’m sure there’s probably a better way.

Just a thought, but if you were put in a position where you needed to prove the zero rated sales, wouldn’t it be easier to defer to PayPal, which presumably has all the price product information there already?

Hmmm i hear what your saying, would there be any way to implement the feature of populating the other way round too? maybe as a check box in the setting for people who want the feature? would save me an extraordinary amount of time in going into the individual invoices and editing them.

When proving zero vat, you really need all your info centralised into your invoicing system, rather than referring to multiple sources, and every invoice has to clearly show exactly what was soled and in which weights, its just not worth doing any other way.

So back to my question, any chance of it being implemented? alternatively, options for what quickfile puts where when dragging from paypal?

So essentially you’d be looking for a way to include the description you modify on the main list within the actual invoice when viewed or printed? I’m just trying to fully understand the requirements.

Can you fit all this info (products sold, weights, qty etc) within 35 characters?

Pulling more information from PayPal is not really an option, they will only ever expose basic meta data on the transaction over the API.

Yep thats exactly what im looking for, 35 characters would be enough given the amount of time i would save, certain info can be generalised of abbreviated so thats not an issue.

To be honest it’s not something that’s come up before, to my knowledge? We tend to prioritise those areas that get the most attention from users. That said if it’s simple to implement we will try to accommodate, for now I’ve logged in our planner for further review by the developers.

Ok thanks for your time Glenn and have a great weekend.

1 Like

No problem, you too!

Sorry noticed a few ui and input improvements that could be done.

-Invoicing, creating a new client record within an invoice only shows the address fields, can telephone number and email address be added to this too, would save time going into the client area and setting up a new client from there, especially when its a new customer and you are invoicing straight away without a quote or pro-forma.

-Reoccurring inventory items. Not really a big deal this one, but is there any way to get this to save the item name, description, unit cost & vat preference for the item as you go? i noticed it saves the item name but not any of the other info when you view it on the inventory list. This is only really applicable if your re setting up your invoicing again from another program but again would save heaps of time.

Thanks Glenn.

Thanks for the additional feedback!

Try to keep the discussion on separate threads if you can, otherwise they just get buried, so nobody can find them, up-vote and add their own comments.

I’ll bear these suggestions in mind, we do get a lot of feature requests and ideas so I can’t promise anything. Whenever we can get the support of more users for a suggestion we have a stronger case to prioritise. Which is another reason to give them their own unique thread.

Just to let you know we have now added a control within the invoice customisation area (Sales >> Invoice Customisation) so you can see the invoice name on the actual invoice itself.

Checking this box will then display the invoice name (as per what you’re entering in the main invoice list) on the invoice in the top right hand corner.

If required you can also shuffle the order in which these labels appear in the invoice customisation area.

1 Like

Brilliant!
This will help a transition from “hand-written” invoices where each invoice number had a client-specific prefix, and the (in hindsight) more flexible and QF-required (for automation) sequential numbering.
We do find that client-specific references helps them (as well as us) see if they’re missing an invoice.

There is a drawback to this implementation, however good…
There is no search on the invoice name particularly if you have overwritten the default invoice name.

That’s really because this field has slowly been re-purposed to do something that it wasn’t originally intended to do.

Originally the column in the invoice list was just a truncated version of the top line description. Later we made it editable, then more recently again we actually renamed it to “Invoice Name”.

I don’t however believe it will be difficult to add an “Invoice Name” search option, so I have made this recommendation to the development team.

1 Like

@gjwguk there is now a search field in the advanced search area to specifically target invoice/estimate name.

1 Like