SMTP Timeout

Can you confirm the timeout settings on the smtp - I am constantly getting smtp disconnected, I have checked my host and although quite slow it is timing out at around 15 seconds.

Hi @Rob

15 seconds is the timeout limit. If it takes longer than this, it will disconnect.

It may be worth contacting your email provider to see why itā€™s taking that long to connect as most mail providers take just a few seconds.

Hi Matthew, I realise it is slow, I had read somewhere on the forum that your time out was 20 seconds? if its 15 seconds then this explains my issue, I have raised a ticket with our hosting provider to try and resolve, thank you for confirming.

Rob

I am continually having to reset the smtp settings due to timeouts, our host has forwarded the following details.

There are no connections being made at that time from the static IP provided.

On checking the IP address that the info@account connects from, there are connections from Removed.

Can you confirm the App is using your static IP?

This IP has tried connect around the time specified, this is the error being generated:

Removed

This seems to be related to the IP address.

Hi @Rob

Iā€™ve removed the IP and email logs from your post.

But I can confirm that that IP address is one used by us, but it may change due to the nature of the infrastructure.

Thanks Matthew, to confirm, this is the IP address that is used to send mail using our own smtp server?

Thanks
Rob

Hi @Rob

Yes, weā€™d use this IP to process any outgoing emails at the moment.

Hi Matthew

This is the response from our host with relation to the last email sent from your server.

Thanks for the confirmation.
It looks like the issue is related to the sending IP, this is the error within track delivery:

SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:email address: 451 Internal resource temporarily unavailable

The 451 Internal resource temporarily unavailable error relates to the IP address having a poor reputation and then being subject to additional checks before a successful connection is being made.

If this has just started to happen, has the IP changed from the static IP provided earlier?
The errors we can see are not showing any cipher encryption errors, so this isnā€™t related to the issue we had.

Can you configure the SMTP server to use the static IP?

I have removed email headers
Rob

Do we have any update on this, I keep resetting but keeps getting deactivated.

Hi @Rob

Judging by Mimecast, your email provider should be able to whitelist the IP address you have for us, which should get around this.

As I mentioned above, this IP address could change without warning, but for now, this should be fine.

Going back and forth with this one, see latest findings from our host

Hello Rob,

Iā€™ve checked all relevant logs and can confirm the IP thatā€™s connecting via SMTP (the Quickfile/Bytemark server ********) has not recently been blocked in the firewall.

The latest log entry you provided also shows as sent. Log entry:

Latest error generated at 13:38

We have been unable to send a number of items through your own custom SMTP email server. The last 3 consecutive attempts failed. The error recorded is as follows:
Email: info@**********.co.uk Error: One or more errors occurred. --> Failed to send mail 10790007 via SMTP host 'nitrogen.cloudhosting.co.uk'. Reference: '61314******'; SenderEmail: 'info@*********.co.uk'; Recipients: 'lisa@***********.co.uk'. --> The operation has timed out.

Entry our end showing this successfully sent:

2021-04-13 13:37:16 1lWII8-002FYf-HJ <= info@yscoatings.co.uk H=************* (GENERIC3) [********]:58684 P=esmtpsa X=TLS1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256 CV=no A=dovecot_login:info@***********.co.uk S=3563 T="REVISED Quote / Confirmation Created" for lisa@***********

Could you please provide the most recent error logs and the time they occurred?

And could you please ask Quickfile/Bytemark to take a look at the above log? It appears that they successfully sent the email but their own system showed ā€˜The operation has timed outā€™.

Have you checked with your client to see if theyā€™ve received this? And if they have, did they receive it from your SMTP server (the ā€œfromā€ account would reflect this)?

This is the log of the email outlined below coming into our system:

2021-04-13 13:37:16 1lWII8-002FYf-HJ <= info@REMOVED.co.uk H=REMOVED (GENERIC3) [REMOVED]:58684 P=esmtpsa X=TLS1.2:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:256 CV=no A=dovecot_login:info@REMOVED.co.uk S=3563 T=ā€œREVISED Quote / Confirmation Createdā€ for lisa@REMOVED
2021-04-13 13:37:24 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1lWII8-002FYf-HJ
2021-04-13 13:37:24 1lWII8-002FYf-HJ Sender identification U=yscoatin D=yscoatings.co.uk S=info@REMOVED
2021-04-13 13:37:24 1lWII8-002FYf-HJ SMTP connection outbound 1618317444 1lWII8-002FYf-HJ yscoatings.co.uk lisa@REMOVED
2021-04-13 13:37:26 1lWII8-002FYf-HJ => lisa@REMOVED.co.uk R=dkim_lookuphost T=dkim_remote_smtp H=mx.spamexperts.com [REMOVED] X=TLS1.2:AES128-GCM-SHA256:128 CV=yes C=ā€œ250 OK id=1lWIIK-0011hX-SEā€
2021-04-13 13:37:26 1lWII8-002FYf-HJ Completed

Kind regards,

Hi @Rob

Just to confirm - we have other users using similar mail servers (cloudhosting), and these are working as expected, so I donā€™t think itā€™s our server or IP address thatā€™s causing any issues here.

If the email is hitting the SMTP server (which it is, judging by the logs), then unfortunately this isnā€™t something we have control over and would need to be looked at by your email provider.

Thanks Matthew

I am corresponding with our hosting provider and trying to get to the bottom of, I agree with you that it must be our providers issue, you will appreciate that I have to check all avenues.

Rob

1 Like

I am now getting

Failure sending mail.
More Details Smtp server returned an invalid response

Rob

Iā€™ve done a bit of searching on this and it seems it could be down to the SSL or the port.

Are you using the settings your have at the moment in another email client (e.g. Windows Mail, Outlook, etc.)?

I use POP/SMTP in outlook, I believe outlook just applied the settings using mail.yscoatings.co.uk, I will try and use the same within the Quickfile settings, I cannot understand why it would just stop working as I have used the same settings for the last couple of years.

I will try the above and let you know

Rob

When applying the settings to SMTP Dialog, can you confirm which address the connection test gets sent to?

Rob

This has become a nightmare, our host has asked for the error logs, problem I have is the delivery report shows that it has been sent and accepted.

I receive a notification from Quickfile stating the SMTP has been deactivated, can you provide the error report that this is generated from?