Undo Rolled back vat Return

Now you’ve submitted Q1 you should be able to generate the correct Q2 return in QuickFile but you won’t be able to submit it to HMRC. Compare the numbers QuickFile has generated with what you actually submitted to HMRC (which you can find via the VAT section of your “business tax account” on gov.uk) and if they’re significantly different then the only thing you can do is get on the phone to HMRC, explain what happened and ask their advice.

If the difference in box 5 between what you should have submitted and what you actually did is less than £10,000 or so they may just tell you to leave it be and make the correction on your next return, but if paying the double VAT now will cause you cashflow problems (even though you will get it back three months later) they may be willing to let you correct it before they take payment - assuming it’s not too late as the Apr-Jun quarter DD will go out in the next few days.

Once you have worked out with HMRC exactly what your final liability is, come back here and we should be able to help you with how to log it in QuickFile.

…Actually the Q2 return would have meant the HMRC owing ME money, after the deduction of all the vat on imports I paid in that quarter.

Ok Ian, Lurch, Paul, Matt,
I’m still having difficulty getting my head around this.

I understand that I have now paid vat in Q1 twice, but I can make that adjustment later.

First question: even though my Q2 return has been “rolled back” , when I submit my q3 return in October , will it pick up the Q2 return too?

If not, then my second question is, Matt, I tried to turn off MTD and online filing as in the link you posted, and then submit new vat return , but there‘a no option to “save” the figures just to “submit. “

If the q2 return isn’t saved before you submit q3 then yes it will pick that up too.

What d’you mean “saved?” All I see is whenever I do my vat return is first “prepare” and then “submit”. Once I hit “prepare” does that mean it is saved?

• go into your QuickFile account settings and temporarily turn off the MTD and online VAT filing options
  • prepare a new VAT return for the rolled-back quarter, apply any manual adjustments you need to make the figures match what you originally submitted, and “save” this return without submitting it online
  • switch online filing and MTD back on again

In other words turn off Mtd and online VAT filing options. Then prepare and save the return. Then switch it all back on.

When you say prepare a new vat return for the rolled back quarter after temporarily disabling MTD, d’you mean NOT in QuickFile but direct on HMRC like I used to do in the old days before MTD?

No. I Mean in quickfile.

Please send me screenshot example of how i “save “ a vat return without submitting it. I’m sorry if I’m being annoying , I’m just not getting this

Which version of the QuickFile VAT return form are you on? Green background or white?

Here , I’ve disabled MTD, gone back to create new vat return , and this is what I get

…so green background

As far as I’m aware if you had disabled the vat then the submit button wouldn’t be there. So I’m not sure youve actually done it correctly.

No Paul
Look at screenshot.

(Unless this is not the way to disable it)

I’ve just checked mine, and I’m NOT on mtd and I get the “save vat button”.

Weird. What if I just submit it, and then enable MTD again ? What will happen ?

I’m on the new style return screen (white background) so I can’t help with what it’s supposed to look like, but knowing a bit about software development I suggest you try this on the vat settings screen:

• tick “enable online filing”
  • untick “use mtd”
  • save settings
  • untick “enable online filing”
  • save settings again

And see if that makes any difference to the vat return form.

Cheers Ian
But makes no difference, I tried it.

Can someone please confirm:

1. what will happen if i click on “create new return” for the rolled back quarter, and submit it, while MTD and online filing are disabled. And then re-enable them.

2. that if I do nothing , when I submit my Q3 return , the rolled back Q2 return will be picked up.

If it’s rolled back, then you will be able to create a new return for that period, but won’t be able to submit it. It will just be saved to your account. As you’ve already submitted your return to HMRC however, it’s important to ensure they both match.

I don’t believe it would permit you to do this, but if it did, all of Q2s figures would be included automatically in the Q3 return. This would mean your figures are counted twice with HMRC if it’s submitted to them.

… which was exactly the problem that spawned this thread in the first place