VAT return submission not authorised

I am having difficulties submitting my VAT return, but if think the problem lies with my tax account not being connected, when clicking on submit a return, i am told i’m not authorised, i have spoken to HMRC and they say it is a software problem, any ideas anyone?

when you log into your HMRC account directly can you see that MTD has been enabled?

yes, i am able to sign in

Is it showing that MTD is enabled?

where would i see that? am going to log in now and check

It will show under VAT on the page you see once logged in

i can’t see it written anywhere that it is enabled, but when i click on the MTD link and enter my details it says that i am already signed up

When you log in to https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/business-account and scroll down to the VAT section, if you are enrolled for MTD then it’ll look like this:

with “view your VAT details” being a link to https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/vat-through-software/vat-overview. If there’s information there directly on the overview page and a link to submit a return, rather than just to the details page, then you’re still on the old system.

1 Like

hello Ian, that is what my screen looks like when logged in and I don’t have a submit option, just a details page

Hmm, then it should work as long as QuickFile is properly connected to the same government gateway account (check this, some people have more than one). Did you definitely connect as an “organisation” rather than an “individual”?

I do have 2 gateway accounts, does it matter which one i use? i have tried using both and i connected as an organisation

Yes, you would need to use the one linked with the VAT authorisation. You would only have access to submit VAT returns on the one account.

I have just signed in to both separately, I can access my VAT details from both

I would give the HMRC VAT Helpline a call just to be sure it’s set up correctly. They would be best placed to advise on this.

I’ve done that, they told me to contact you as it may be a software confusion

When you try to generate a VAT return using MTD, we use the account you’ve connected and defined in your VAT settings. Using these details, we request the periods from HMRC and they either present them to us, or give us an error (which we then display to the user if necessary).

If you’re seeing an “unauthorised” message, something like “You are not authorised to view data for VRN 1234567890”, then this is the error returned by HMRC when we request the periods.

This suggests one of 2 things:

• The HMRC account connected is incorrect (e.g. the wrong one has been connected)
  • That VAT number isn’t signed up to MTD, or
  • There’s an error on HMRC’s side causing this message to be sent by mistake

If we contact HMRC, their response to us is to refer you to the VAT helpline. If you are 100% certain that the VAT number and the connected account is correct, then unfortunately speaking with HMRC would be the only way to identify the issue here.

Thank you for your reply, I have called HMRC, they advised me that i have the correct log in details, i am fully migrated to MTD and the Jan-Mar period is open, but my submission i made last Friday went into their old portal and rolled back. They suggested i contact you again with this information.
The error message i received when trying to submit again was code 403, if that sheds any light?

On your “vat settings” page (not the “HMRC” page) is the “use MTD” box ticked and your connected tax account selected in the drop down box? (The “linking to your vat profile” bit at the bottom of this article)

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.