1st VAT return will not submit to HMRC

Hi I have been trying to send my 1st VAT return, I believe I have followed all the correct procedures
with HMRC MTD etc but the return says my VRN was not found ?? this is definitely the correct VAT number can you offer any solutions ?

1 Like

Likewise I have registered and successfully logged into the MTD VAT section of HMRC.

I’ve successfully submitted online since Nov. 2017 using the same account.

Now we are getting the:

You are not yet authorised to view this report for the VRN 281477775 . Please ensure your VAT number is correct and you have connected the corresponding HMRC Tax Account.

message.

The QF interface is a bit quirky - if you click the MTD box, the account details are masked out and just the company name appears. Unticking the box shows the account number but the password has been blanked. Is this by design? I assume that the authorisation method for MTD has changed.

Any insights into what might be happening under the covers would be appreciated.

I suspect that HMRC is going to have a large hole in it’s VAT accounts as no-one is able to submit returns. Or is this just their way of collecting more penalities…?

Have you definitely “connected the corresponding tax account” via reports -> HMRC, and connected it as an organisation rather than an individual?

The key word is “corresponding” - if you have more than one gateway account you need to be sure you’ve connected the right one. The easiest way to be sure is to disconnect any existing connections, make sure you’ve logged out completely from tax.service.gov.uk, then run through the connect procedure again in QuickFile.

OK. Clicking around trying desperately to repeat your steps to check everything as you do…

I clicked on the “Connect a new Tax account” for a second time; see

I thus had two entries for the same account; one (semi) worked and the other error’ed out. Deleted the error connection and can now submit a VAT return. :wink:

Obviously some failure at the HMRC end to connect the accounts.

Another “gotcha”…

By deleteing the first connected account QF removed all the Online Filing settings for VAT.

I prepared my return but of course, as everything was unticked, it merely saved and did not submit to HMRC.

I had to set-up MTD once again in VAT settings and then roll back the VAT quarter before I could actually prepare and submit online.

All has worked now :wink:

1 Like

It has, in that it is actually an authorisation method now (you give your login details to HMRC and HMRC give QuickFile a token that lets them do specific things on your behalf) rather than the previous authentication method (you give your login details to QuickFile and they connect to HMRC by pretending to be you).

1 Like

Hi all,
I have been submitting VAT via the usual interface. Now, I realize that I need to do MTD way. I just registered with HMRC MTD and connected QF but I am getting this message: “You are not yet authorised to view this report for the VRN 245185503 . Please ensure your VAT number is correct and you have connected the corresponding HMRC Tax Account. If you have recently enrolled on the MTD scheme please allow 24 hours for HMRC systems to update.” << I assume I just wait for 24 hrs. Right? Based on the VRN, I see VAT number is correct. I have only a couple of weeks, so don’t want to be in trouble later.
Thanks,
S

How long ago is “just”? It can take three days or more between submitting your registration and being fully authorised to use the MTD system.

Ian, It is 7:15pm today. Is the process for submitting the VAT return via QF is same as it was without MTD?
Thanks,
S

Once you’ve got everything connected and configured, yes, it’s all the same. When you press the “create new VAT return” button there’s an extra step of getting the list of VAT obligations from your HMRC account and selecting the one you want to prepare but after that it’s exactly the same form you’re used to and the same underlying calculations.

1 Like

Dear all,
I am wondering if I do not get MTD authorisation in time, what I need to do submit VAT by deadline? By opting for MTD on QF, the earlier option for submitting return has vanished as well.
Thanks,
Solar

Hi @solarpower03

The best thing to do is to contact HMRC as they would be able to advise on this.

Hi Mathew
I will wait for 3 days since the request for MTD authorisation before calling HMRC. However, why QF is not allowing me to download calculations for VAT? I would need them even if I have to submit via other means?
Thanks
Solar

You should see a “Download Calculations” button at the bottom of the VAT return:

Does this show for you?

Thanks Mathew. I do not see that. When I ask to create return, I get this message: ‘You are not yet authorised to view this report for the VRN 245185503. Please ensure your VAT number is correct and you have connected the corresponding HMRC Tax Account. If you have recently enrolled on the MTD scheme please allow 24 hours for HMRC systems to update.’

The first step would be to get a return generated, but at the moment it’s trying to pull the periods from HMRC.

If you go to Reports >> VAT Returns >> VAT Settings, you should see an option to enable/disable MTD features. Disable this, and then you should be able to generate a return without this message appearing.

Thanks Mat. Works nicely! I am wondering for the quarter ending June 30, when does HMRC takes money from the bank account by direct debit? Is it 3 days after 7th August- the day by which one has to file the return?
Thanks

The only thing MTD changes is the submission API and the underlying record keeping requirements (not what records you have to keep, but the fact that they have to be kept digitally and the transfer of numbers from the records to the return has to be electronic rather than manual). Everything else stays the same, the payment deadlines, error reporting rules, etc etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.