I am working through hundreds of historical records, and starting to apply banking rules to regular payments and receipts. I know this will automatically process new receipts/payments, but can I apply it retrospectively to the existing, untagged records?
I believe there is another topic which will be of use to you: Automatic Tagging on older transactions
I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to get back in touch.
Hi David @Wordcatcher
To work around the non-retrospective bank rules there are few steps that you can take to work through your historic records more quickly.
- Upload the bank transactions to the relevant bank account in QF
- Tick the box “Untagged” and then select all and “Export Data” to a .csv file for importing later
- Work through the untagged records to create new “Bank tagging rules”, the magnifying glass can be helpful to filter similar records
- After a bank tagging rule has been created then delete those records
- Continue through the the remainder of “Untagged” following the previous two steps until you have your rules created
- Delete any untagged records that you do not want to create rules
- Go to the “Bank tagging rules” and ensure the new rules that you have created have their “Status” set as “green - auto tag”
- Finally import the saved .csv file using the “Other” in the “Upload Statement” under “Options” and tick the box “My CSV statement has two columns for money in and money out”
You should see the imported file using the bank tagging rules and all chosen records will be auto tagged.
Thanks for the comprehensive response.
If not already suggested, maybe a button to retrospectively apply rules to untagged records might be a useful feature.
One thing I’m not sure about is when the new bank rule is created it flags similar records, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to select those records and actually apply the rule. I can’t see anything on the page to do this. I’ve worked out the workaround is to then search for records using some fo the string within those highlighted and select them to process. Again, it would be nice to be able to do it when creating the rule as a feature.
Thank you for this suggestion. I have converted this topic into a feature request for you. Feature requests are regularly monitored and those with enough interest in them are considered for implementation by the development team.