Roll back VAT return

I rolled back my VAT return after submitting because I had made a mistake with an invoice and not charged sufficient VAT.
I had amended the VAT return to include the missing VAT before submitting to HMRC (in adjustments), but then I realised I needed to change the invoice so that I could charge my customer (because I can’t create a VAT only invoice…).
So, I’ve now changed the invoice, and now I’ve gone into “VAT returns” - I don’t have an option to re-lock the quarter in QuickFile, although those transactions have gone through to HMRC. I looked at the next quarter tax return, and all of the transactions in the original quarter are being included again - so being double counted…
I am an accountant of over 30 years, so don’t suggest i don’t know what I am doing. This is obviously an issue with the software, because I should be able to lock these transactions again so that they are not included in any subsequent submission to HMRC, or is there another way to exclude these transactions, without having to manually enter them as “adjustments” ??

Hello @jillkw

Here are some similar queries I found in the forum

If you turn off online filing in your QuickFile VAT settings you should be able to “save” the return for that quarter again, and hopefully the VAT it calculates this time (including your amended invoice) will match what you actually submitted without the need to make a manual adjustment. Once you’ve saved a replacement return go back to the settings page and re enable online filing ready for next time.

While you can’t amend an invoice that has been locked by a VAT return you can credit note the wrong invoice in full and then create a new invoice in its place dated on the original date. QuickFile builds each return from all the items dated before the end of the quarter you’re filing, excluding any that are already locked by a previous return, so even if you back date the credit and new invoice into the previous quarter they’ll be automatically included in the return for the next one.

In this particular case given you had manually adjusted the previous return you would then have needed to make the reverse adjustment on the next one to even it out.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.