Sale not appearing in P&L report

Hi All, first post here!

I am in similar position to this closed thread here: Sales not showing in sales report or anywhere, in that I have a sale that does not appear in the P&L report.

In my case though, I have discovered it after submitting a VAT return so I can’t make any changes it would appear. The VAT report appears to have picked up the sale OK (it’s a large one, so obvious), but how I can/should I get this sale to appear in the P&L I am trying to run?

TIA

Hi @Jules_K,

Firstly, are you cash or accrual accounting? have you checked the date of the invoice/payment is within the VAT return dates?

Hi QFBeth, thanks for the quick reply.

I am on cash accounting. Yes, the dates of the invoice and payment are within the dates of the VAT return (which I have submitted / paid).

I suspect I probably need to change an entry somewhere from stock 1001 to general sales 4000 to get the sales to appear in P&L as per the thread I quoted, from what I have read, but having submitted the VAT return everything is now locked down of course, so I’m wondering what I can do?

Thanks.

Hi @Jules_K,

If it is a journal entry these don’t get included the same in a VAT return, it would have to be linked specifically to an invoice. If it has not been included then you can make an adjustment in your next return if you need to

Thank you QFBeth,

I’m afraid you are talking to a complete novice here though!

The sale was definitely picked up in the totals for the VAT report so I am happy on that score.

What journal entry would I need to make to get this sale to appear correctly in the P&L report though?

Thanks.

Hi @Jules_K

If the sale was picked up in the VAT return, then it’s been tagged somewhere. It may just be that it was tagged to the wrong place and needs to be journalled for it to show correctly.

For more information on journals, please check out the following post: Journals

To try and find the correct code that you should be posting to, check out your chart of accounts: The Chart of Accounts

I hope this helps, but if you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

That’s not the point. For it to show in the p and l the invoice has to be dated within the accounting period, not the vat period.

Please confirm the invoice date is within the accounting period regardless of vat period.

Yes - “stock” is a balance sheet code rather than a P&L one.

If the invoice is locked then creating a journal to debit stock and credit general sales is probably the simplest fix.

Thanks Ian and others for your replies.

I have created a journal entry, does this look right?

(images of the nominal entries attached, I have to post the journal entry in a separate post)

…and the journal entry

No, you only need to journal the £32,049.65 that was posted to Stock, not the whole £38k including VAT.

Thank you Ian for correcting me, I have amended it!

So much to learn.

Thank you all for your responses :+1:

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.