VAT - Not authorised to view this report

The error usually refers to the account not being registered for MTD, but if you have had the email of confirmation from HMRC and still seeing the error message, the VAT helpline would need to advise on this from their end.

There are contact details on this page:

Yeah. Tried that at 08:00 Monday (to avoid the queue as that was opening time) and they were going to ring me back (three days and not heard anything). they were suggesting it was at your end :slight_smile: and you are suggesting it is at their end :slight_smile: and I cannot change settings at either end :frowning:

Do you possibly have more than one Government Gateway account (I know some people have one ID for their company and another for their personal Self Asessment)? If so you need to make sure you’ve linked the correct one to QuickFile.

Hi Mathews

I am having the same issue I have contacted HMRC Vat help line and they said everything is fine from there end it is an issue from software side any advise please.

Have you successfully registered and had the confirmation email?

Have you also made sure you’ve connected the correct account to QuickFile and connected for the company rather than an individual?

Hi Beth

Yes I have and I had the confirmation email from HMRC.

And yes I have double checked that correct account is connected to Quickfile.

Hi @mobeenbps

If you have connected the correct HMRC account, and successfully enrolled on MTD (and had a confirmation email), but still seeing the error, unfortunately, the error is likely to be on the HMRC end.

Typically any errors we show are returned to us by HMRC and we just show them to you.

I recommend speaking with the VAT helpline again and tell them the exact error you’re seeing (not authorised to view this report).

Hi Mathews
I will give one more try with HMRC.

Hi Mathews I just spoke to HMRC again they are saying that they cannot see any issue from their side. I need to check with my software if it’s linked to HMRC can you please give any advise on what to do in this situation Thanks.

Hi @mobeenbps,

This is the guide for making sure it is all set up correctly. Might be worth working your way through this to make sure you haven’t missed anything HMRC Tax Accounts - MTD Returns

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Hi Beth

Thanks for sending this through I have updated all the settings again and this has worked this time :blush:

1 Like

Hi @QFBeth, does this guide also work for agents? I am getting the same error message when trying to file for a client. Had confirmation that they are enrolled last week from HMRC. Everything seems to be set up correctly on QF but not working. Obvious question - the tax account is in our name, right, not the clients name?

Hi @BBK,

Honest answer - I don’t know.

Sorry! You may find if you go through the checks that its flags something for you? I think with an agent you need to make sure that you have agents access through HMRC and then you link your agents account to Quickfile which should then bring up the clients account?

Indeed it should. Nothing seems to work though. I can’t see whats wrong with it, as far as I know everything is set up, in and out of QF, correctly, but no joy :sob:

Hi @BBK

When are you seeing this error message? Is it when you’re linking your own tax account to an Affinity account, or is it relating more to an organisation account?

Just want to be sure we’re on the same wavelength

I’m trying to submit a clients VAT return. So I’m registered with a new ASA which is all set up in the ‘team’ section of Affinity. I’ve registered the client for MTD and had conf that’s happened. Gone into QF and ticked the box to say ‘use mtd’ and then tried to create a vat return, which then gives me the ‘not authorised’ message.

Let me send you a private message and I’ll take a look at this for you.

1 Like

Hi, I still cannot connect to my HMRC account. I rang HMRC (again) and they have told me everything is ok and that the vat return has been generated and is just sat there awaiting approval. I still get the error message from your end:

" You are not yet authorised to view this report for the VRN 698086082 . Please ensure your VAT number is correct and you have connected the corresponding HMRC Tax Account. If you have recently enrolled on the MTD scheme please allow 24 hours for HMRC systems to update."

I have looked at the guide HMRC Tax Accounts - MTD Returns you posted for another user after cancelling the connection and re-connecting. I enter the login details and click on the green “Grant …” button and I end up with

I click on the VAT Obligations button and get this error message.

Getting desperate now.

Hi @XYZZY

I’ve removed your screenshot as it contains account details.

I’m not sure I follow here I’m sorry? If you’re seeing the error message about the VRN, no VAT return would have been submitted through QuickFile.

Regarding the error however, this is one returned to us by HMRC - we don’t alter this message, we just display it. It normally relates to one of the following:

• The wrong tax account has been connected (some users have multiple ones for different tax services)
  • The VAT number hasn’t yet been enrolled on HMRC
  • The VAT number has been enrolled, but a confirmation email hasn’t been received by HMRC

If everything is correct, the VAT helpline would need to advise further as HMRC are returning the error.