Co-op bank statement import needs updateing

Hi,

I previously asked what format CSV for Co-op business bank Quickfile is set up to import Which Co-op csv export is Quickfile set up to import? - #5 by QFSteve

I tried all the ways to export a CSV (and XLS) from Co-op Business online banking and I can’t find any that are in that format, therefore the statement import needs updating.

Cheers :slight_smile:

No idea whether this will work! But if you are able to download bank statements from the Co-op in .qif format (Microsoft money) then have a go by using “Santander qif file” that is an option in QF bank statement imports.

I recently posted about how the Santander qif file format is useful when working with French comma separated files “La France sur virgule dans comptes bancaires” but afterwards mistakenly imported the file into an HSBC current account and that also worked (had to do a “Recent Batch Uploads deletion” to fix my upload error but that’s not too problematic).

Have a go @madbilly and as I suggest if you make mistake there is also the facility to fix such import errors.

Hi @alan_mcbrien,
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I can’t find a way to export Co-op statements in QIF format. OFX is supported, so I tried importing that, but it just lists everything as generic payments or deposits, the textual references are lost, so it’s not much use. CSV is still the best, but Quickfile’s not set up to import the current formats.

In the interests of trying to get this fixed here is the format in which Co-op Business online banking exports CSVs from the “Search Transactions” view:

List of transactions
Transactions List:
Transaction date Account Number Bank reference Type of payment Customer reference Amount (GBP) Additional Info
Date and Time: 18/11/2023 17:43 Page 1 of

Hello @madbilly

I have advised the development team of the Coop file format you have provided.

When importing a csv statement (for any bank) you can set the bank name to “other”.

This gives you flexibility when importing as you can select which columns you wish to use.

You should only have to select 3-4 items depending on if the values are in 1 or 2 columns.

It may also help to remove any additional rows such as report date/title and totals to prevent errors.

Hi @QFSteve, thanks for passing that info to the dev team. I always have to import statements using “Other”, there’s no other way. It’s better than nothing but it adds more time to the process.

Hello, can I just add to this thread please? Co-op Bank only gives options to download in pdf, txt or xls formats. Quickfile gives an error message when trying to upload that the format must be CSV/OFX/QBO/QIF. Obviously I could take the xls file and save it as a CSV but is that the only workround? Thanks

Hi @Silverfrost, are you using Co-op personal or business banking? In Business banking you can download CSV files from the Search transactions view:

What does the txt format look like? CSV and QIF are special cases of plain text.

Apologies for the late reply to this.

I am using business banking but my download doesn’t give CSV as an option

The TXT version just opens as text in notepad. I can open it in Excel but it’s just text. The XLS version opens in Excel and looks like a printed statement.

Trying to upload any of them into QF just gives an error:

Incorrect File Format
You must upload a CSV/OFX/QBO/QIF file here

Hi @Silverfrost

It may be worth trying to download the XLS version and modifying this. CSV is, in short, a very basic spreadsheet.

As long as you have the date, description and a value (or two values - one for money in, one for money out), the file should work. Just use File > Save As, and select “Comma Split Value (CSV)” as the file format.

It may involve a bit of copying and pasting, but that should do the trick.

Hi @Silverfrost,

It looks like you’re on the Accounts screen. Try using the “Search Transactions” screen and set up a search for the account and dates you want, then you should be able to see a CSV download option.

Thanks @madbilly, I used the search transactions screen & downloaded a CSV. Unfortunately this option only includes transactions made previous to today and requires lots of clicks to ensure that only the correct account (rather than all accounts which is the default) and dates are included. It’s also necessary to upload as “other” and then modify the columns.

It appears that the Co-Op Bank isn’t quite as switched on as some of the others when it comes to providing easy downloads for accounting software.

I think that I may have to go back to doing it all manually.

Hello @Silverfrost,
Yes it’s frustrating, which is why I’ve asked Quickfile to both update their import for the Co-op export AND to implement the bank feed for Co-op. Unfortunately nobody else seems to be asking for this so there’s little motivation for Quickfile to do either of these things.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.