Zero cost invoices

Is there a way of producing a zero cost invoice?

I.e. I am giving someone something for free but want to create an invoice to show it is free?

Is the only way to create the invoice and then credit it?

2 Likes

No you can’t issue a zero value invoice in Quick File. You could however issue an invoice at the normal retail price and follow it up with a credit note.

This is something that would also be of value to us. Our preference would be for a 100% discount (we want the client to see how much of a freebe they are getting) although the ability to create zero value lines as well would be a bonus.

2 Likes

For one quickfile use we need to be able to issue an invoice to members who are honorary and so would have a perfectly correct and valid invoice cost of ÂŁ0.00 as it is not they do not exist (which seems to be the quickfile view.)
Equally, there are other legitimate reasons for issuing an invoice for a zero amount eg. issue a replacement item under warranty (an invoice generating action but with no (zero) client cost,) transfer of inventory between locations, sending of items for review / inspection.
We do not need work-arounds as all they do is make for confusion unless the idea to get the number of ledger entries up?
Put full price, allow a 100% reduction - oops thats zero and not allowed.
Not as if it is a difficult feature to enact, just change validation from >0 to >=0.

3 Likes

On the back of this, would/could the same also be done for zero rated purchases? I have one supplier who invoices everything on one invoice then sends out back order/out of stock items later with 100% discounted invoices. Usually I just delete the back order invoices (when tagging via receipt hub) but it makes sense to have all the invoices logged against the supplier for audit purposes.

1 Like

This would be useful to us to record items repaired under warranty.

Being able to create a zero value invoice would also be beneficial to us, sometimes we need to despatch zero valued items, I am currently unable to run a delivery note off for these because I am unable to create the invoice, my only workaround is to generate manual delivery notes and invoices which isn’t ideal, there is also no record of the invoice in Quickfile.

Rob

1 Like

This would make my life so much easier too

i make invoices for 0.01p, which is a pain and doesnt look very smart

Warranty
Delivery note off consignment stock

2 Likes

Hi
Please consider a method to allow for free issue of parts or goods to customers and suppliers
To include a
Delivery Note / Packing Note.
Audit Trail

Zero value Invoicing would help?

1 Like

Hi @ChrisatIIOnline

We don’t offer zero value invoicing as it has no relevance to accountancy.

I think maybe the delivery note / packing note would be more for your stock management system. But, we will leave this thread open for others to add their comments.

There is already a feature request open

3 Likes

I also think there should be the ability to have invoices with zero value/allow 100% discount.

I have had several occasions where the ability to do this would have been useful.

3 Likes

I would also find zero-value invoices very useful in various scenarios, for commercial but also for accounting reasons - these would keep the invoice numbering intact. Otherwise, one needs a separate sequence just for zero-value invoices (and you have to keep that separate to QuickFile, which is impractical if you prefer everything in one place).

I also don’t see what is gained by blocking zero-valued invoices.

1 Like

Oh, and they also come handy when a client is terrible at keeping their invoicing sequences - it’s neatest if one can then raise zero-value invoices for the skipped invoice numbers, so that it’s easy to audit later on.

1 Like

Hello @sasopuksic

You can add your support for this request by clicking “Vote” at the top of the page.

Yes, we would also find this useful. Our customers purchase a service contract which might include 6 callouts over a year. When a callout is used from within the included allowance, it needs to be recorded as a zero invoice, and when they have used up their allowance and need further callouts they are invoiced at the usual rate. Without this feature we need 2 different processes for handling the in/out of allowance jobs.
The credit-note-after-invoice-approach makes little sense when the customer views their account online.
Additionally this would seem to be both simple to introduce and have no obvious downsides, so why not just do it?

2 Likes

Yes we want this too!

Did not realise until today we cannot issue a zero value invoice which whilst having “no relavence in accounting” does not help when needing to actually issue a zero value invoice for commercial reasons where the document is required for an export for an FOC sample

A headache I certainly didn’ expect and I see no reason why this function is not available

1 Like

I’m attempting to transfer to quickfile from an old desktop sage system. We are a small company and it may be that staff with invoicing /pricing responsibilities are not available. So we use the quotation system in sage to create a zero value entry so that a delivery note can be generated and shipped, which is then updated later with values and converted to invoice. We also use the quotations for zero value replacement equipment, allowing generation of delivery note for shipping. Estimates in quickfile almost replicate this except for the zero value blocking rule (same as invoicing).

Whilst I appreciate that this is not considered an “accounting practice” I’d suggest that smaller companies would find this invaluable

Reading this feed it seems many users are interested in the function, but it goes back a number of years suggesting that this will not be implemented.

Understanding that the quickfile team must have a heavy work load just managing 3rd party integration & development but I just think this is a basic requirement of a system, after all a 6 year old sage package has the capability.

So for me unfortunately I have for now stopped implementation on quickfile and need to look elsewhere.

1 Like

Zero value invoices are very useful in a wide variety of situations, I hope this is still under consideration and have added my vote